Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

How to replace the Clock Spring

Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace the Clock Spring

Cruise control not working?
Airbag light and chime driving you crazy?

You most likely have a worn / broken clock spring!

Step 1
Buy a new CS from Amazon, Ebay or wherever. I got mine from Amazon for fraction of Jeep AU price.

Step 2
Straighten the steering wheel.
Disconnect the battery, I did because I absolutely did not want to accidentally set off the airbag - didnt fancy a screwdriver in my forehead, some may say it would be an improvement LoL
The only tools you will need are
a long T20 torx driver,
philips head screw driver
bend yourself a special flat blade screw driver
Socket, ext and driver - to loosen the nut behind the wheel - Not the Jeep enthusiast LoL

Step 3
Remove the plastic panels around the steering column by removing the 3x T20 screws (underneath the wheel, 1 is silver and visible and 2 black ones are hidden)

Step 4

Remove the Horn button / Drivers airbag
by using the bent screwdriver to gently pry / lever off the cast steering wheel hub 3x U shaped spring clips (they remain attached to the Airbag / Horn - when you spring the 3rd one be ready to catch the Airbag / horn and unplug it.

Step 5
Disconnect the white plug at TDC and remove the centre bolt that holds the steering wheel. Pull the wheel off - I didnt use a puller (some say I have expert pulling skills) just a big grunt LoL

Step 6
Remove the blinker stalk by removing 1x Philips head screw (on the left side) and unplug it.

Step 7
Remove the Headlight stalk, 1 x Philips screw (on the right side) and unplug.

Step 8
Remove all the plugs from the old CS.

Step 9
Remove the 2 silver torx behind the old CS and 1 silver torx screw near the IGnition Key Hole and gently pull off the old Clock Spring.

Step 10
Replace CS with new one - leave the yellow CS lock in place until you have put the steering wheel back on and tightened the centre bolt.

I hope you guys find this useful and it saves you some cash
cheers Hunty

Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Smile inside the clock spring

The clock spring is a stupid name for a device who's sole job is to connect the buttons and controls on the steering wheel that rotate around during normal steering wheel operation, the horn, stereo, blinkers , lights airbag etc all need to be connected and working whilst you saw on the steering wheel, the device itself looks a bit light a spring you might find in an old clock.

In a JK it has one more significant function i.e
It continually measures the angle of the steering wheel and feeds this info to the ERM and ESP computer - in the case of ERM, the computer knows what ratio the front wheels should be turning at based on how much you turn the wheel and if this even varies a small amount you get the brakes on esp light on and throttle cut

You can see the awesome attention to detail Jeep has gone to - they are using a light breaking beam detector on a perforated ring and a potentiometer to give them maximum knowledge of where the wheel is and how fast it is being turned.

hope you enjoy the pix cheers Hunty

ar

hope you enjoy the pix cheers Hunty

Last edited by hunty; 05-24-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Smile Nude shaft

Old 05-24-2013, 02:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up. Mines already been replaced under warranty once. I guess I better study up.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 AM
JK Newbie

Smile CLock spring x3

Originally Posted by SBEII
Nice write up. Mines already been replaced under warranty once. I guess I better study up.
My Jeep has also had 1 under warranty and 1 I just replaced one so MY 07 JK is on its third D'0h.
cheers Hunty
Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

I noticed the recall is for the "Right Hand" drive models. Anyone report the left to be affected? Must be a big issue as it's reported on 2 different dates on the NHTSB site.

Quick Reply: How to replace the Clock Spring