Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Aftermarket Sub-Woofer Security Considerations

Old 05-26-2013, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Sub-Woofer Security Considerations

Just a heads up. I had the OEM sub-woofer enclosure and I replaced my HU and all of the speakers because I could barely hear the radio with the top off. I thought the OEM enclosure would be great with an aftermarket sub in there, but it was just a disappointment. The 8" Alpine R-Type fits in there really nice with a 1/2" spacer, but it just sounded really muffled, rattled, and not really worth the effort. I actually ordered the OEM panel and replaced the OEM enclosure with it because the extra room back there was more appealing than keeping that sub. In the end, I decided on a small simple enclosure and rigged it to fit snug in the far right corner against the back of the seat. I put a strap through the rear wall of the speaker box and looped it through the child seat restraint. Start with the empty speaker box. Use what you have to get a nice slot cut into the box. I used a drill and a small jigsaw-like hand saw. Drill four holes, two holes on the top and bottom of the slot. Place your bolts through the holes and loop the strap through the child restraint loop on the back of the rear seat. I then pulled strap through the slot and pressed the box up really tight against the seat using the two ends of the looped strap. I used a piece of ratchet strap and 4x 1/2 bolts. I put the bolts through the box and then through the straps, used a washer and locking nut to retain the strap. The whole Jeep moves when I try to pull it out of there. Then put the speaker in the box. I think it'll bee safe. Some might consider sealing the strap slot, but I made mine pretty small and the strap was in there pretty tight, so I wasn't concerned about it. I feel pretty good about leaving it in with the top off. If somebody wants it they have a lot of work to do to get it out in decent condition. The bolts and strap are protected due to space constraints and the speaker is attached to the box with 12 screws. A would-be-thief would have to bring tools with them to get this out.

Golden rule: If you can't afford to lose something, don't put it in/on your jeep.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sub-Woofer Security Considerations