Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Metal scraping noise

Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal scraping noise

Yesterday had rain which eventually turn into snow and ended up with a good dump. I was having so fun on some dirt roads that were badly beat by the rain and snow.
Next morning I start up and when I start moving I get a really load noise that sounds like metal is scraping against something. At first I thought there was a shovel under my jeep and I was dragging it (sounded almost exactly like this). After a few seconds of the sound I stop and look around with no sign of anything wrong. I get back in and start moving again and no sound.
What do you guys think it was, should I be worried. My garage floor has a lot of dirt on it from the dirt that fell off the jeep, maybe dirt was stuck somewhere. Or ice.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds like you had a rock, possibly some ice, stuck up somewhere. Do you know if it was coming from the front or back, driver or passenger side?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Could have been your brakes, the rotors tend to get a skim coat or rust on them then for the frist few feet of driving (even if you dont apply the brakes) you'll get a weird grinding metal sound. Its like this on most Trucks and cars.

Mike
Old 02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99.9% by the sounds of the sheeking metal grind it was a little rock or dirt that got caught/lodged between your brake pad and rotor. You should not have to worry about it....if it continues try going on the highway for a short boot and the higher speeds should kick that rock out....Sometimes the sound may get worse or louder....but it's the rock/dirt working it's way out from between the brake pad and rotor. Eventually you shall get silence again.

Should the grinding noise continue for a long distance......I would get your brake pads checked for uneven wear....with you having a new Jeep this is highly unlikely but a chance the caliper piston is hooped or dirt/mud are causing the brake pads to sit on the rotor to cause premature wear.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 02-07-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was coming from the front.

But, ya most likely it was a small rock. As I said there is now a bunch of dirt and rocks on the garage floor which fell off the jeep as the snow melted from it. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have gotten a couple of rocks between the dust shield and the rotor on RubyDoo. It sould like metal scraping and depending on how big or how much pressure it is recieving the sound changes. I have had to remove the front wheels and dig them out.

Kat
Old 02-08-2008, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again with my Heated Garage story.

Find a heated parking garage and let your JK be in a warm place for a while 2-4 hours should be plenty. Find out if they have a place to wash it ;-)

Sam.

Quick Reply: Metal scraping noise