Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

3.73's, Tru Lok..and elec disconnects ?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3.73's, Tru Lok..and elec disconnects ?

Hello there from 'Down Under'. Just typed an essay but the website logged me out..so I'll keep this brief. Have ordered (hope to have it before I die)..an Unlimited CRD manual..with khaki trim/seating. As the manual now comes with 3.21 gearing....(big mistake in my book) we've been told we can 'option up' (read $$$) and get a 3.73 ratio with Tru Lok in a Dana 44 rear and Dana 30 front and electronic disconnects. I know you guys ..at this stage anyway...don't have access to a local market CRD in the Wrangler...but was wondering if anyone out there had 'optioned up' their ... Sahara...or X..with this option..and if so...what you thought of it. I plan long term to install an ARB air locker in the front. Probably a 2-3" lift, Bull bar...and rear bar with tyre carrier.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey J.B. welcome to JK-Forum. Regarding your question, 3.21's and factory tires will give you the best MPG but I have no idea what kind of power or lack thereof you will have with the CRD. Do they not offer 4.10's where you are. Here in the U.S. we can get Dana 44 rear ends with 4.10's and they work well with 33" tires (285's) and okay with 35" tires (315's). Either way, if you can only get 3.73's, I would do it as ever little bit will help out in the power department.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:44 AM
JK Super Freak

4.10 gearing is only available in the Rubicon for 08 models. At least thats the way it is in the US.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:30 AM
JK Newbie

Default 3.73's, Tru Lok..and elec disconnects ?

4.1's were available here for the first few shipments...and came (other than the Rubicon)..in the auto...petrol (V6)...and both the manual & auto in the diesel. The guys that got 4.1's in their CRD's over here....generally seem very impressed..and it allows them to virtually go to 35's without much problem..and in stock trim with a little lift.... well...they are a 'weapon'. I'm told the auto for 08 ..will have 3.73 diffs...but manuals in both the CRD & the petrol..will be running 3.21's ! I know you can do after market exchanges..but I want to get a few years work out of the stock car...before I start changing drivelines & diffs. I'm test driven a CRD here with 3.21's...and while the engine is impressive...it was really let down by the ratios. That's why I've opted for this 'option' of 3.73 diff ...which over here is only listed as being available with the Tru Lok.....and sway bar disconnects.. Just wondered if anyone had this set up over there...and their feelings on it. Really looking forward to getting this rig....but I'm not taking delivery if I get 3.21's... I just wont have the money in reserve to change it after forking out roughly $49,000 AUS.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J.B., in the US there are 2 ways to get 3.73 gearing, either a USD $50 option, or they come with the Tow package...

But ill tell you what, you cant go wrong with the e-disco and tru-lock. Id go for it.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up 3.73's, Tru Lok..and elec disconnects ?

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feed back. If the 4.1's had still been an option in the CRD...I would have ordered it but alas..it wasn't to be. Hopefully the 3.73's (if they eventuate !) will be fine...and it saves me fitting an ARB locker to one end at least. As for electronic disconnects ? ... Well that's new to me ..so I'm looking forward to seeing what they are like. A few here believe with the CRD, if you are doing more road mileage than rockcrawling the 3.73's ...would actually be a better ratio for a compromise vehicle. Especially now that they are running 255/75 x R17's (32") as standard.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Hey J.B. welcome to JK-Forum. Regarding your question, 3.21's and factory tires will give you the best MPG but I have no idea what kind of power or lack thereof you will have with the CRD. Do they not offer 4.10's where you are. Here in the U.S. we can get Dana 44 rear ends with 4.10's and they work well with 33" tires (285's) and okay with 35" tires (315's). Either way, if you can only get 3.73's, I would do it as ever little bit will help out in the power department.
Hey Eddie - is he mistaken thinking electronic disconnects on a front Dana 30 - or is this an overseas option?
Old 02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default 3.73's, Tru Lok..and elec disconnects ?

Originally Posted by britjk
Hey Eddie - is he mistaken thinking electronic disconnects on a front Dana 30 - or is this an overseas option?
...I can't honestly answer this question...but I've been told...there is a delay due to an engineering issue... so it may well end up not being an option for us. Having said that... on the 'build your own' section of the Jeep website... going for disconnects..indicates going 3.73 ratios with locker in rear. So it appears to be listed as available... if the website is correct.

Quick Reply: 3.73's, Tru Lok..and elec disconnects ?