Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

"Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" factory option

Old 01-26-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" factory option

newbie question: Is it an important option for off-roading? For car that doesn't have it from the factory, are aftermarkets available?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

By most accounts the ESP and Brake control standard is similar in performance to the LSD or anti-spin rear axle.
It basically comes out to what terrain do you drive and how difficult your off roading terrain is.
You can add it but I believe a locker is a better choice for cost/performance comparison.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...another kitten bites the dust
Old 01-26-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

is it 4 wheel drive?? -- from the question, i'm going to guess that on the terrain you are going to take your Sahara you'll be fine, if you have a redneck like me that cleared the 7 acres behind me just to ride around in deep red dirt and clay for the hell of it almost daily then it would help yes, if you go aftermarket your going to want lockers, if your getting lockers you probably will want to regear so you can spin bigger tires, then you need a lift to clear the tires and the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Old 01-26-2008, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

LSD is not the same as lockers. They allow some spin of the wheels and dont transfer 100% of the power to both wheels. Lockers are what you would want if your gonna do some serious rock crawlin like where you would have 1 wheel of the ground. LSD still better then nothing.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

Default Lsd

I just bought a used 07 with every option I would have put on a new one...except LSD..why dealers don't put this $200 option on every Wrangler makes no sense to me....I was happy enough with deal to buy the Jeep w/out it..
Old 01-27-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cim330
newbie question: Is it an important option for off-roading? For car that doesn't have it from the factory, are aftermarkets available?
Dude, Dont call a jeep a CAR
Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

I could get this option for basically free for the situation I'm in. I'm going between 2 dealers. I will be doing little offroading. I will have trailer for my dirtbike. Does this option do anything for me?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like the LSD, have had it on all my Jeeps. For daily driving, it gives you some positive drive in both wheels. I guess with the new 'brake-lock' system, it might not be fully needed, but for $200.. .. a good value I think.
I can agree with the hard-core offroaders that lockers are best offroad... but you can't use lockers on road, and LSD still helps you there in rain, mud, and snow... even when just in 2 wheel drive.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rlabbott
LSD still helps you there in rain, mud, and snow... even when just in 2 wheel drive.
I'll second this - in the snow, the LSD has been helpful. Also, I've done some obstacles in 2WD that others needed 4WD to get through - it's helpful. Lockers are probably a better bet in extreme off-road situations, but I've been glad that I checked off the option box for LSD.

P.S.: Every time you call a Jeep a car, God kills a kitten.

Quick Reply: "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" factory option