Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hooking up my CB soon.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up my CB soon.

My gf git me a Midland 1001LWX cb radio for Xmas. I already have a Teraflex spare tire mount antenna bracket, but I found this kit on right channel radios website.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/jk...-kit-2007.html

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. I guess what my concern is the antenna. Everything else seems to be quality, but I can't find any information on the antenna. I don't wanna skimp and buy this kit and be unhappy with my radios performance. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Pre-tuned for jeep wrangler"......yeah right.

There is no such thing as plug and play when it comes to CB antennas. Everyone's rig is going to be slightly different.

I don't like the fact they don't list out the manufacturer of each part. The price could be good but really depends on what you are getting for your money.

If it were me I would give them a call for more details.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ*Spartan
I guess what my concern is the antenna. Everything else seems to be quality, but I can't find any information on the antenna. I don't wanna skimp and buy this kit and be unhappy with my radios performance. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Antennas are like $20
Old 01-02-2014, 03:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

As already stated, you have to tune each antenna. And usually "pre-tuned" means there isn't a way to tune the antenna. In addition, I strongly recommend against buying pre-made cable. Yes, it takes a couple additional tools you may not have to make a quality cable, but I've seen real crap sold by even well-known manufacturers and vendors. If you can't make a cable yourself, go to a CB shop and make certain they use quality RF cable (not something with 15% shielding, as so much Chinese made crap is these days, and then people wonder why they hear their CB transmissions over their stereo system).
Old 01-02-2014, 04:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When I bought my JKUR the previous owner musta had a CB cuz there was an antenna mount on the tire carrier and a 12' spool of coax was rolled up neatly under the carpet. I so only had to buy antenna($30) , mounting hardware($5), and a 3" HD spring($3) bought everything off eBay direct from Firestik. They have their own eBay store. As for the coax I don't know, I personally would have just gotten it off eBay if it wasn't in my rig already, I'd just goto Radio Shack if I were u and if it's crap just take it out and return it.

Sent from my obama monitoring device

Quick Reply: Hooking up my CB soon.