Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hemi or LS swap

Old 01-09-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like driving the Jeep with the Hemi but if I had to do over again today there would definitely be a LS under the hood. To me the transmission is the biggest issue with the Hemi swap.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 6.0L LS (LY6 variant) in my 2007 Rubicon that was done by Robbie at Mo-Tech in June 2013. I have driven the Jeep 12K miles (about 2K off-road) since the conversion. The power is great and a night/day difference from the stock 3.8. It will do a burnout with 35" tires on the street and easily 4-wheel drift off-road. The balance off-road is also improved at higher speeds since the swap.

I'm getting around 16mpg (the 6.0's run on 87 octane fuel). That's with 4.10 gears, winch, Poison Spyder Rockers, and 35" tires. It's running the 6L80 auto trans.

I have no personal experience driving a Hemi-convered Jeep, but have heard firsthand from a couple owners that they have issues with overheating and high underhood temperatures. In addition, I've seen the melted plastic and blistered paint underhood as they pointed these issues out to me.

Now, I am partial to GM engines, as I have a lot of experience with the LSx platform. The added bonus for me was that when I was researching conversion costs, I consistently found that a LS swap was around $3K less than a comparable Hemi.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:04 AM
Cod
JK Newbie

On a side note I'm getting 19.9 MPG's around town and I usually drive it like I stole it...
Old 01-10-2014, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wdave
I really like driving the Jeep with the Hemi but if I had to do over again today there would definitely be a LS under the hood. To me the transmission is the biggest issue with the Hemi swap.
I agree about the tranny. I have had the 6.1 hemi in since 2009 though, long before there was a viable LS swap kit. The AEV kit was nice and I have had zero motor, electronics, or drive train issues. I am running stock suspension and tires, but I do not baby my 2 door Rubicon and it moves out pretty well.

Today I would probably go LS, but only if I could afford to do the 6.2 LS. I have also heard the 6.4 SRT hemi with the newer tranny is a pretty sweet combo.

Otherwise, I would never give up the SRT motor I have. It is just too much fun.

Last edited by Yankee; 01-10-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Default Cost?

What does a swap cost? I have an 08 jku rubicon. got 95000 on it and willat some point have do something. so do I buy a new one? or swao in a v-8 and tranny I am no skilled mechanic soit would have to be done by a shop. So what does it cost?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

subscribing to this thread.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Cod
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
What does a swap cost? I have an 08 jku rubicon. got 95000 on it and willat some point have do something. so do I buy a new one? or swao in a v-8 and tranny I am no skilled mechanic soit would have to be done by a shop. So what does it cost?
I went new 6.2 Crate Motor, New 6L80E Crate Tranny, MoTech Kit and installed at RPMOffroad for 25k ish...

You can do used motors, trans and save some bucks, I believe the going rate for that is around 12 to 15k, don't hold me to that hopefully somebody can chime in.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Cod
I went new 6.2 Crate Motor, New 6L80E Crate Tranny, MoTech Kit and installed at RPMOffroad for 25k ish... You can do used motors, trans and save some bucks, I believe the going rate for that is around 12 to 15k, don't hold me to that hopefully somebody can chime in.
That's just completely retarded that someone would pay that kind if money unless it was strictly an offroad vehicle. But if I guess you have it then more power to you. Will never happen for me
Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

I'll add or sponsored or advertisement for one of the large vendors.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny

That's just completely retarded that someone would pay that kind if money unless it was strictly an offroad vehicle. But if I guess you have it then more power to you. Will never happen for me
Thats kinda rude. Maybe you've got hobbies that you spend money on and he doesn't so he saved his money and got the ls

Quick Reply: Hemi or LS swap