Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hemi or LS swap

Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
That's just completely retarded that someone would pay that kind if money unless it was strictly an offroad vehicle. But if I guess you have it then more power to you. Will never happen for me
Color me retarded, I love my DD Hemi Jeep. I have almost 10K miles on it, no issues and no overheating.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't single one person out. I'm sure if I had more money then what I knew to do with then I would do it also in which case I would consider myself retarded. Wasn't meant to be rude. Guess I should have said ridiculous or something else other than retarded. My apologies.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Cod
JK Newbie

I sell Meth....
Old 01-10-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Cod
I sell Meth....
Lol. I need to get into that business. Seems they make good money. Lol.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:00 PM
JK Junkie

Lol. I need to get into that business. Seems they make good money. Lol.
Might even get a tv show off it lol
Old 01-10-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
Might even get a tv show off it lol
Very true. Could prompts my business and not get arrested all at the same time. Lol.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cod
I went new 6.2 Crate Motor, New 6L80E Crate Tranny, MoTech Kit and installed at RPMOffroad for 25k ish...

You can do used motors, trans and save some bucks, I believe the going rate for that is around 12 to 15k, don't hold me to that hopefully somebody can chime in.
From the research that I've done and talking to Robbie at Mo-tech it appears that a used motor and transmission swap with less than 40,000 miles will be between 16 and 19,000 dependent upon what engine and other modifications that you go with such as exhaust, tap shift and cruise and so on.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

That's just completely retarded that someone would pay that kind if money unless it was strictly an offroad vehicle. But if I guess you have it then more power to you. Will never happen for me
The way I look at it is, I use my jeep for work and play, I use the jeep for work and it sees some rough terrain and is in 4wd almost every day. I have had to beef it up to keep it from possibly breaking down while at work, Pro rock 44 up front with lockers front and rear, bumpers, rockers, and lights. I bought the jeep about 2.5 years ago with 50,000 on it and now it has 140,000 and the 3.8/auto will not last very much longer. I can spend 16 to 18 on an engine swap or buy a new jeep and start over. If I stay with the 3.8/auto and go with a new engine and beef up the tranny I still have a weak P.O.S. that will continue to give lack luster performance and be problematic. There is only one financially feasible option here the way I see it. Once the swap is completed I will be able to run the jeep on any trail in the country and have a dependable work vehicle.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by locknrock
From the research that I've done and talking to Robbie at Mo-tech it appears that a used motor and transmission swap with less than 40,000 miles will be between 16 and 19,000 dependent upon what engine and other modifications that you go with such as exhaust, tap shift and cruise and so on.
My LS conversion ran $18,760 installed. This was for a BRAND NEW 6.0 LY6 iron block LSx engine (for a 2014 Silverado 2500 series truck) + used 6L80E trans with under 1,000 miles. The swap also included a Griffon 3-core radiator, B&M transmission cooler, MoTech CAI, tapshift, and 3" exhaust running through a Flowmaster 50 series muffler.

I went with the 6.0 mainly because Robbie scored a killer deal on them ($3K for a new one). The one in my Jeep is pushing 400HP / 420TQ. I've driven his 6.2L LS3 Jeep, and despite the smaller displacement, they perform about the same. The real bonus is the 6.0 is designed to run on 87 octane fuel. I give up a few ponies (and probably a little MPG), but it's cheaper on the wallet to maintain. I'm also running the stock D-44's in my Rubi with the stock driveshafts. To date, no issues. I'm not afraid of the "go" pedal either.

I'm guessing you either:
1. Never merge onto the interstate in your Jeep
2. Have no hills or mountains where you live
3. Have a 3.6L with no weight additions.

For me, the difference was night and day. Doubling the horsepower and torque makes the Jeep feel like a "normal" SUV (think Chevy Tahoe or Range Rover.) I no longer fear for my family's life when I merge into traffic or traverse steep grades.

As for performance, no need to explain it: Here's a short video compilation I made last summer

http://youtu.be/CIjp8GaBxnY

Last edited by Schantin; 01-10-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:15 PM
JSS
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LS/HEMI in a JK

We have been doing Hemi swaps cents 2004 and the Hemi has been great and the all NEW VVT Truck Hemi with our new program is the best HEMI yet.

Now we have done about 15 LS swaps and my Jeep the GuineaPig has a 2010 6.2L/6L80 that we put in a Year ago, I always have been a Chevy fan, but the Hemi is just easier to install.

Now the LS is a great engine and their is more Chevrolet fans out their and with the 6L80 it is a good program, so we are working on a simple way to install a LS in a JK so we build a all new wiring harness, we also use the LS accessory drive so we can have a York air compressor. We also can now use the Rubicon T Case we have build a shaft so we can use the Rock Trac 241 T Case.

It is hard to do any engine swap on the cheap, but we can do a VVT 5.7L Truck HEMI turn key for $16,800.00 (400HP) and no over heating with our new fan and shroud, with our new program we have help the trans also by raising the Rev-limiter in each gear and making the shifts firmer. We have come a long way with the Hemi!

Now it is time for the Chevrolet LS and we are going to make it better that ever, we have the HEMI Jeeps down and working great so it is time for the LS!!

We are also looking into a Diesel 3.0L but this will take a lot of time and work, but we are looking into a Diesel also!

Last edited by JSS; 01-10-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Hemi or LS swap