Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep wave origin?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep wave origin?

My wife and I were discussing the Jeep wave today while out having an ice cream. I love the way she eats ice cream. Anyway, she brought up the question of how the Jeep wave originated. My best educated guess was based on the Jeep's origin where there would be saluting going on back and forth in the days of service in the army.
Thoughts?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

In the being, the early Jeep drivers were far and few between. So they new what fun they had with them and would meet another jeep and waive knowing that the other new what they had and that they had something in common. Just like today. It is a jeep thing!
Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To hell with the wave, I want to hear more about your wife. Sorry, did I say that out loud?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Same way motorcycle, porsche, and any other community wave started. People with the same car started waving to each other to signify that they are aware of their presence.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
Well..to this day I havent gotten a wave..could be a CA thing cuz ppl here are kinda snobby..who knows...
Don't let that stop you from waving...you might just re-start it.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well..to this day I havent gotten a wave..could be a CA thing cuz ppl here are kinda snobby..who knows...
I hear you on that one. Some do but most here in N. CA don't.
My youngest daughter is SO into the Jeep wave....she was giving a two handed wave(s) the other day, and don't you know we had some unfriendly Jeepers. She was bummed.

But we just keep waving anyway.

Good question about the origin of the wave. I was interested in knowing that myself.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

007divegirl, we have a young daughter too and I know she will be waving. Hope she gets most of them back. Good luck to you and yours in your Jeep adventures.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I get the whole family in on the wave when we have the top off and sometimes with it on. One, two, three, wave and we stick hands out the top and wave. Usually everyone including non-jeepers behind or in front of the jeep wave. Then agian what else do you expect I would wave too if I saw a whole family in a topless doorless jeep coming at me sticking thier hands out waving. The reason is anyone crazy enough to take all the doors off and "cut" the top off his vehicle might just kick my ass if I don't wave back. God it's funny how people react when they see my 4 door w/o top and doors. I have had so many questions and hear so many comments. No one believes it is/was as easy to do as I claimed untill the day I put the top and doors back on in the space of 2 hours and had time to change and make it back for the school play. BTW it only took 30-45min total and that included hauling the doors out of the shed and to the carport in the rain and we took our time.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Same way motorcycle, porsche, and any other community wave started. People with the same car started waving to each other to signify that they are aware of their presence.
I agree you hit it on the head. I lived out west for 30 years on a farm, (washington) and all us country folk (neighbors) would give the same wave. weather we were in our jeeps or farm trucks.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
I get the whole family in on the wave when we have the top off and sometimes with it on. One, two, three, wave and we stick hands out the top and wave. Usually everyone including non-jeepers behind or in front of the jeep wave. Then agian what else do you expect I would wave too if I saw a whole family in a topless doorless jeep coming at me sticking thier hands out waving. The reason is anyone crazy enough to take all the doors off and "cut" the top off his vehicle might just kick my ass if I don't wave back. God it's funny how people react when they see my 4 door w/o top and doors. I have had so many questions and hear so many comments. No one believes it is/was as easy to do as I claimed untill the day I put the top and doors back on in the space of 2 hours and had time to change and make it back for the school play. BTW it only took 30-45min total and that included hauling the doors out of the shed and to the carport in the rain and we took our time.
Just wait till you get in practice, you'll be able to do it inside of ten minutes (for a soft top) and 15 min for a hard top.

Quick Reply: Jeep wave origin?