Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

Bought a TJ recently and have some questions

Old 07-27-2014, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a TJ recently and have some questions

A few months ago I bought an 06 TJ from a dealership in town. I love it but I know it's not stock. It has wheel spacers on it already and I feel like it's got some lift compared to other TJ's I see around town. The tires on it are also larger than the spare. Also the rims are off a Rubicon I think as I've seen people selling the same rims I have labeling them as "Rubicon Rims". When I change gears, 1st and 2nd gear seem to run higher RPMs than other manual transmissions I've driven.

SO I guess I'd like to know what kind of mods have been installed before I bought it. I'd like to eventually put a 4 inch lift with some 35's but I know I have to regear in order to do that.

Some concerns I have are: Since it's my daily driver, is it a bad idea to even go as large as 35's?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Me to, 2005 LJ Rubicon. Go to the TJ section on Jeep Forum. There's more info than you could read in a lifetime.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what motor? the straight 6? my roomate has a tj on 35s with no regear on it and its his dd. No issues from what ive noticed. Be careful with them 35s though he eats up spider gears like crazy..
Old 07-28-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
what motor? the straight 6? my roomate has a tj on 35s with no regear on it and its his dd. No issues from what ive noticed. Be careful with them 35s though he eats up spider gears like crazy..
It's a 4.0 I6. Forgive me for asking, but what's a spider gear? And how easy is it to replace? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Ropeteer
It's a 4.0 I6. Forgive me for asking, but what's a spider gear? And how easy is it to replace? Thanks in advance.
When you pull off the dif cover its right there. its the 4 gears in a square shape. It takes us about 30 mins to and hour max.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor.../ptrax-c03.jpg
Old 07-28-2014, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I'm guessing that long term it'd be cheaper just to regear the whole axle to Rubicon status? Or since I won't be doing a lot of offroading is it even worth it? Thanks.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Ropeteer
So I'm guessing that long term it'd be cheaper just to regear the whole axle to Rubicon status? Or since I won't be doing a lot of offroading is it even worth it? Thanks.
Regearing wouldnt help much, the d35 just plain out sucks, its also got the older style 30 i believe.. Itd be best to swap. For not much offroad im sure you will be fine. Just avoid and hopping/bouncing and heavy throttle if at all possible.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is there a way I can tell what type of gears I do have? And how much lift I have? I'm starting to wonder if the dealership just threw on a budget boost, some wheel spacers, some rubicon rims with some 31's, and painted the muffler black just to make it look better to sell it. I The speedo is off a bit I'm guessing because whoever put the bigger tires on it didn't readjust it.

Quick Reply: Bought a TJ recently and have some questions