Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JK Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement Procedure

Old 06-20-2015, 02:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by kfast24
I did this last night took about 2 hours most of the time was struggling with the damn lines. Got rid of my petal squeak. Master cylinder was fine just really really loud
Awesome!
Old 06-21-2015, 11:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not really wild about having my brake system acting as the clutch resevoir ; what could possibly go wrong with this. Not really a Question.
Is there a way to retrofit a separate clutch resevoir , has anyone done this ?
Old 06-21-2015, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing. I thought about swapping them out for one from my old xj. Independent from the brake booster but I don't know if it would work. Closing off the brake booster line wouldn't be to hard.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

That is an interesting question. I wouldn't worry too much about a single one of the three systems (brakes are split in two) causing catastrophic failure of the others. They should survive on remnant fluid in their lines at least long enough to get to a repair site. I can also envision some simple internal design elements for the bowl to provide limited isolation for each system--stepped interior taps so the clutch drainage stops above the brake line taps; small, internal bowls at each tap that retain a small amount of fluid, etc. Next time I'm mucking around in there I'll take a peak. Unless Ronjenx chimes in. He knows all that stuff.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my two cents

I found this thread looking for info on how to bleed the slave cylinder.

I replaced my clutch master cylinder (CMC) this weekend because of the annoying squeaking. The first recommendation I would make is to release the two wiring harnesses that are in the way. They simply pull off the bolts that secure them with a slight tug. Then remove the grounding screw shown in photos two and six. I did not have to remove or loosen the brake booster. The part slid and out just fine (looking at the CMC from the front…removal is slight twist clockwise and to reinstall slight twist counterclockwise). I did not have to remove it from the inside. The one problem I did have was when I was reinstalling the new CMC, I knocked the sensor off the side. I had to hot glue it back on and I wrapped painters tape around it so it wouldn’t happen again. Otherwise this was very straight forward.

I tried bleeding the part from the slave and just gave up. If anyone has any suggestions…please post.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

this is great, do you have a how-to for the slave cylinder as well?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mtaccgh7
I found this thread looking for info on how to bleed the slave cylinder.

I replaced my clutch master cylinder (CMC) this weekend because of the annoying squeaking. The first recommendation I would make is to release the two wiring harnesses that are in the way. They simply pull off the bolts that secure them with a slight tug. Then remove the grounding screw shown in photos two and six. I did not have to remove or loosen the brake booster. The part slid and out just fine (looking at the CMC from the front…removal is slight twist clockwise and to reinstall slight twist counterclockwise). I did not have to remove it from the inside. The one problem I did have was when I was reinstalling the new CMC, I knocked the sensor off the side. I had to hot glue it back on and I wrapped painters tape around it so it wouldn’t happen again. Otherwise this was very straight forward.

I tried bleeding the part from the slave and just gave up. If anyone has any suggestions…please post.
I'm so glad you pointed this out. The bolts on the interior arnt aligned with the holes so it makes it impossible to get a socket on them. I even tried removing the whole plate it's attached to only to find out if have to remove the interior nuts as well. I eventually gave up so I could do more research and here it is. Thanks for this.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Post Still something wrong

Ok, so I changed the Slave and master cylinders, bled the breaks and clutch. There is no air in the lines on anything, the clutch is still looser than it used to be before it went out. Any ideas as to why, or is the clutch supposed to be fairly soft?
Old 08-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The stock clutch is fairly soft. Going to an aftermarket one will put some spring in your step.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:34 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Default How-To Tuesday

Great topic for today's How-To Spotlight...
Jeep Wrangler JK 2007 to 2015 How to Replace Clutch Master Cylinder - Jk-Forum

Quick Reply: JK Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement Procedure