Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

Old 02-25-2014, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeaNGreeNSaharA
Hadn't done this in a while, and I had been faithful to the 15,000 mile change previously. Probably 30, 000 this time. I had 3 very small shards of curved metal come out of the rear differential. They were probably 1/16 of an inch wide. The back was pretty sludgy too. The last trip recently to the shop it was suggested that the back driver's side axle may be slightly bent. Could this be related? I'm wondering what I should do? Do I need to take the differential apart? Do the metal chunks mean my gears are damaged? I don't hear any grinding or anything when driving. Help appreciated!!!
Just had the same experience tonight, so i took the cover off and found that some of the spider gears are getting chewed up. Not sure why it happened but I plan on installing locker soon anyway so I cleaned with brake cleaner and put cover back on for the time being. I would suggest you pop the cover off to find out what's going on before it grenades. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2015, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

Hey guys I have Yukon 5.13 gear which oil should I use 75w90 or 75w140. Thanks for input.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default first time rear diff change

read the whole thread and want to make sure….i have a 2015 wrangler unlimited sport model; got 9K miles… did 2 oil/filter changes so far but never the rear diff… rarely been off pavement yet… i just want to change the rear so…. just want to confirm…. use some synthetic gear oil of usual weight, and NO friction modifiers needed on my model ? and it takes about 2 quarts ? i figure i'd do the front at 15 or 20K since it's just free wheeling most of the time…. ?

tnx, JR
2015 JK unltd, 9K miles
Old 10-21-2015, 07:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjrho
read the whole thread and want to make sure….i have a 2015 wrangler unlimited sport model; got 9K miles… did 2 oil/filter changes so far but never the rear diff… rarely been off pavement yet… i just want to change the rear so…. just want to confirm…. use some synthetic gear oil of usual weight, and NO friction modifiers needed on my model ? and it takes about 2 quarts ? i figure i'd do the front at 15 or 20K since it's just free wheeling most of the time…. ? tnx, JR 2015 JK unltd, 9K miles
Unless you tow a lot I would Let it slide another 20-30k. Nothing wrong with it at 10k, service interval is 30k I believe.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default rear diff..

Originally Posted by sa29560
Unless you tow a lot I would Let it slide another 20-30k. Nothing wrong with it at 10k, service interval is 30k I believe.
well, I'm into the school of changing first oil very early to get rid of breakIn crud... I do eng oil at 1000 miles on my new cars...so I thought maybe doing the diff at some early time once would make me sleep better...lol

so, I just want know again,on my base model JK, I don't need any friction modifier if I put in synth. ?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:29 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Default How-To Tuesday

Seems like a good topic for this week's How-To Tuesday article...
https://www.jk-forum.com/how-tos/a/j...l-fluid-407885

Quick Reply: Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up