Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

Changing the fluid in your Jeep JK Wrangler’s differentials is an important part of routine maintenance. New gear oil will insure your differentials will be properly lubricated and functioning properly. And, unlike previous Jeep Wranglers, you will not need to pop open the differential cover in order to perform this maintenance. Granted, I do recommend that you do so anyway from time to time (every other fluid change) as it will give you a chance to inspect the gears within it for any damage or unsual wear.

Following "Schedule B" in the Jeep owner manual (heavy driving), I change my differential fluids every 15,000 miles. However, It’s always a good idea to do this after submerging your axles in deep water for prolonged periods of time as well. Click on the link below to see a list of what you will need and instructions on how to perform this service yourself on a Jeep JK Wrangler Dana 30, or Dana 44.

Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-05-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up. Like everything else I'm OVER DUE!!!

So Can I drop mine off in the am on my way to work and pick it up after work?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guy's,

Don't forget. if you have a limited Slip rear, to put in your "limited Slip Additive".
Old 03-05-2008, 01:26 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
Nice write up. Like everything else I'm OVER DUE!!!

So Can I drop mine off in the am on my way to work and pick it up after work?
LOL!! Come on down

Originally Posted by boots
Hey guy's,

Don't forget. if you have a limited Slip rear, to put in your "limited Slip Additive".
So far as I know, this is not true. So long as you use a good synthetic gear oil, the addition of friction modifier (limited slip additive) should not be needed.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
LOL!! Come on down

So far as I know, this is not true. So long as you use a good synthetic gear oil, the addition of friction modifier (limited slip additive) should not be needed.
perfect timing WOL. Just picked up my royal purple.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

Im going to try to do this over my SB

Thanks WOL
Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've done this drain and fill and it so super easy with the drain bolts. the hardest thing is taking the used oil to the recycling center.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by boots
Hey guy's,

Just to back up WOL, if you use a full synthetic, like Mobil 1, then there is no need for an addative.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AMSOIL LONG LIFE SYNTHETIC GEAR LUBES are compatible with most limited slip differentials. If limited slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip-Lock™ friction modifier additive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is why I added "Slip Additive" when I switched over to synthetic gear lube, after running just a few miles their was just a tad-bit of chatter. I called the guy I get my Amsoil from and he had said that in the Dana limited slips they have been adding slip agents, also in some but not all Ford 9" rears.

He also said that this is true of the Modil-1 synthetic's. He sells both........
Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just remember only put in enough to get it to stop chattering, try a little at a time. It's chattering because it's locking up, the more additive you add the less effective your LSD. The additive is more of the high pressure portion of the lube and keeps it from locking up as early. With enough torque load a LSD will also unlock, this would also happen easier with to much additive. Unlocking probably isn't much of a problem with the BLD in our JK's though. To much additive will make the LSD live a longer life though. Just my two cents worth.

Quick Reply: Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up