Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Raxiom or Rosen

Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been thinking about the Raxiom HU as well primarily because of plug n play and stock look. Absolutely hate the aftermarket retro fit kits that fill in the space of all the under sized after market. I suggest you work out your decision based on what you want in audio sound quality whether being top tier or very decent and stock/non stock look. Speakers will make a big difference and yes get an amp or you will be disappointed in my opinion. I am still trying to find a way to touch n feel the Raxiom unit before pulling the trigger but its the way I am leaning. My goal is for a very acceptable audio sound.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Its-a-JK
I have been thinking about the Raxiom HU as well primarily because of plug n play and stock look. Absolutely hate the aftermarket retro fit kits that fill in the space of all the under sized after market. I suggest you work out your decision based on what you want in audio sound quality whether being top tier or very decent and stock/non stock look. Speakers will make a big difference and yes get an amp or you will be disappointed in my opinion. I am still trying to find a way to touch n feel the Raxiom unit before pulling the trigger but its the way I am leaning. My goal is for a very acceptable audio sound.
Great advice. In my experience helping people with their Jeeps that WANT better sound there are usually a few camps: 1) People that don't know what a good audio system can sound like (but they know the Jeep system sounds terrible) so they cheap out by throwing in some new speakers or add an amp or similar. These people often will keep going back and adding parts in chase of better sound, 2) People that want to retain the factory look at the cost of good sound and better HU features so they MUST keep the factory HU or go with a Rosen/Raxiom and 3) People who really care what their audio sounds like and are willing to spend the money to do it right - these people have likely had an good aftermarket system in the past or at least heard a good one.

The interesting thing is #2 and #3 can cost the same amount of money but have extremely different results in sound quality.

None of them are right or wrong, just have differing opinions and goals. Like Its-a said, its up to you, your goals and your budget.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Great advice. In my experience helping people with their Jeeps that WANT better sound there are usually a few camps: 1) People that don't know what a good audio system can sound like (but they know the Jeep system sounds terrible) so they cheap out by throwing in some new speakers or add an amp or similar. These people often will keep going back and adding parts in chase of better sound, 2) People that want to retain the factory look at the cost of good sound and better HU features so they MUST keep the factory HU or go with a Rosen/Raxiom and 3) People who really care what their audio sounds like and are willing to spend the money to do it right - these people have likely had an good aftermarket system in the past or at least heard a good one.

The interesting thing is #2 and #3 can cost the same amount of money but have extremely different results in sound quality.

None of them are right or wrong, just have differing opinions and goals. Like Its-a said, its up to you, your goals and your budget.

Awesome replies! Thanks! I think I am leaning toward the Raxiom as I like the look and the backup camera integration, etc. I just moved to a Jeep after about 20 years of F150s and I had backup cameras for the last 10 years or so and got used to having them.

My 36 year-old son just bought a 2015 Wrangler about 3 months ago. It's not the UL but it does have the same radio my Willy's UL has, it's that cheaper model, no touch screen but still has UConnect and Sirius. This kid owned his own custom shop where he installed alarms, decals, stereos, etc., so he is pretty knowledgeable about these things. A couple of weeks ago he pulled out all the stock speakers and replaced them with Kickers. He also replaced the tweeters and filled the soundbar pods with polyfill. He plans to put in a better HU, add an amp and use a self powered sub in the future.

The difference in the sound, just from swapping out those speakers is pretty impressive. It sounds pretty good now. Not quite where I would want it to be, but surprising.

Again, guys, thanks for all your help. The more info I can get the better equipped I am to make the right decision for my Jeep.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrangled
It is my understanding that the Raxiom is actually a Rosen under the hood, built to Raxiom specs, for Extreme Terrain. I have it, I love it. Pricing is probably going to be the best if you actually PM the Extreme Terrain guy, Ryan. It was a real plug and play unit. No surprises! It has been working flawlessly here for about a month, I had no problem updating my maps,(I needed North American not just US). The backup camera that comes with it is very clear, wide angle. The phone set up was a breeze.I am completely satisfied with the sound quality, and since it plugged directly into my existing stock harnesses,(I have Infinity package), I was pleased to not have to purchase anything else to make it work. It looks like it came with my Jeep. The biggest effort was getting all the cables stuffed in behind the head unit. Very tight back there, so be patient. Rosen makes so many different models for so many different dealers. I found no place else that offered a full 2 year warranty, and the customer service I received from Extreme Terrain, Ryan in particular, makes me feel very confident in my purchase. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone. I don't know much about auto electronics, and I'm sure there are several after market systems that meet or exceed the specs on this unit, but I was not able to find anything in my neck of the woods that was comparable for the price. I won't post that because prices can change too quickly, and I feel that Ryan will always give forum members the best price available. Being able to install it myself in about an hour,(excluding running the cable for the back up camera), saved me even more money. It does everything I wanted, and I am glad I went with it.
There you go, that is the guy you want to talk to, he is faster than me!
Yes sir I believe you are correct. I purchased the Raxiom from ExtremeTerrain and when I switch to the Nav it says Rosen on the display until the screen calibrates your location.

Quick Reply: Raxiom or Rosen