Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Apple CarPlay receivers - suggestions/comments?

Old 07-24-2016, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
Photos as promised
Does this work in a 2007 jk? Would love to get add this in there. And if so, was it hard to install? Any particular videos or anything you found that showed you how to install it?
Old 03-23-2018, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me add a little to this. I have had the 4200NEX for about 8months. I did not have BT in the JKU before. so I did not suffer what most say is a weird interface between the Uconnect and Pioneer. I will say, I find Carplay annoying most of the time. It is what it is, but the seamless side of apple is not there with the rest of the HU and the truck. I did run the Pioneer mic, as I didn't have one. But most will say, the stock unit is much worse anyway. Mounted mine on the bottom of my SPOD, works great, even works well topless... The I-data model is what I use for the wheel controls, and I have only had one issue, it seemed to lock up once, and required me removing the dash to get to the unit to reset it. That SUCKED! I would not get the unit for just carplay, but thats me. I often use BT to connect my phone, as the carplay is hit or miss on when it wants to do any phone operations. I am current on Firmware, and its an Iphone 8. I do find the unit very solid. Its responsive most the time, and worth the money. I do know you can use waze if you connect the phone via HDMI, but you are just using the screen as a large monitor from your phone, so it's not like using it thru carplay. Also, if you happen to have more then one BT device, the latest model has a new BT unit in it, and allows the connection of multiple devices at once. Mine does not, and it doesn't allow the use of 2 devices at one. Think, one for phone, and one for music. I would like that.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay receivers - suggestions/comments?