Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rugged Ridge EXO-Top Installation and Review

Old 06-23-2016, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!

I'm new to the forum and ended up joining as I was doing research about this top. I was excited before to get it, but after reading your reviews and watching the video I can't wait to put it on. Thanks so much for all of the great info!
Old 06-23-2016, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default Water pooling

Originally Posted by Lupo-JK
Redbug is right about the water pooling. My daughter opened the rear door and as she was getting in yesterday about 2 gallons of water dumped on her head.
Was just reading through the thread about this product and this might be a little late-- ok so a lot late but when I called about the product I asked about water pooling issues and they recommended this-- I wish I'd known about this sooner. Would have been great for my fastback best top!

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11020_0404.htm
Old 06-29-2016, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR
The best way to reduce the flapping is to tighten the Velcro straps to the rack as tight as possible, especially the fronts. They should tighten the fabric up close to the rack. I added the LoadWarrior extension to the rack with the wind deflector up front. It moved the front of the basket forward to the front edge of the rack and actually diverts the wind up front of the top downward instead of bubbling it up while going down the road. On a side note: I think the front section could use a bow going across underneath to help prevent rain water from pooling on the top.
I took some pipe insulation and placed on the middle cross bars and a couple raps of duct tape and no more noise. Cost $3 bucks.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

i want to like this top so badly but i just cant do it... I love the look of it, but it has a ton of issues...

No matter how tight i make it it still flaps against the rack - i have it it as tight as i can get it in the front - there is zero velcro left on the front strap that hooks around the front bars. It still flaps... my kids keep asking if it is raining because of the flapping.

I am also having issues with the rear windows - they are lose and bunched up at the bottom and the top is too tight at the top to get the top of the window in the channel I have un-hooked all the velcro and put the windows in, as soon as you put the top straps on the window piece pops right out. I emailed rugged ridge tech support because heaven forbid they actually talk to anyone live on the phone. Good old Jack - who is apparently the only customer service/ tech support person tells me this is a good thing... How is the rear windows popping out at the top of the doors surrounds a good thing? I just opeend all the velcro straps again and put the windows in the channel and -hooked the top strap back up - as soon as i did the top of the windows pop out...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2576.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	651488Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2575.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	651489

Rugged ridge customer service is pretty useless in my opinion... So does anyone that has this top want to give me your opinion how to fix this?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

You're right about the side windows. It is frustrating. I will have to say though, we had a torrential downpour over the past weekend and regardless of the fitment issues, there was not a drop of water in the cab anywhere.

I've added a Yakima LoadWarrior basket with extension. It seems the wind fairing actually helps 'push' the front part of the top downward and reduces the flapping. I only get the flapping now on extremely windy days.

I do wish the exo cage had crossbars that were more in line with other brands to make fitment of other rack/ accessories easier to purchase. My current basket situation with extension does not allow the Yakima brackets to mount the front part of the basket to the cage. I had to use zip-ties to help secure the front of the basket. I'll post up some pics shortly.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-308650621.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	581.1 KB
ID:	651710

Name:	image-220618454.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	532.5 KB
ID:	651711

Name:	image-17620010.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	651712
Old 07-06-2016, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Name:	image-473443239.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	568.5 KB
ID:	651714
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3113724612.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	651713  
Old 07-06-2016, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

I would feel more comfortable if the front portion of the rack had a crossbar to attach to front half of the basket but this is what I've come up with so far.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Default top closing

does anyone else have a issue keeping the sunrider alider area over the driver and passenger seat open? I love being able to just slide the top back for the open air, but every 5 minutes on the highway i have to push the top back open, because it keep closing on me. I have the screws on the arms that go into the tracks pretty tight but it dooesn't stay open...

any suggestions would be great!
Old 08-04-2016, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

The one time I did have the sunrider portion slid back it did the same to me. I had to get off the highway and slide it closed.

After that, I've started to make sure that I have the folded portion folded as far back under the railing and also undo the Velcro tab on the crossbar to get the top further in there. I also make sure the header bar is back far enough under the cage crossbar so that it can't flip up.

I've been around town like this but have not had it back on the highway in this configuration. I need to test it out at some point.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge EXO-Top Installation and Review