Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Old 10-08-2015, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmickyutah
Hi Dan
Build progressing very well.
should be a very special jeep when complete.

A perfect partner on your african quest.

Best regards
Mick

Sent from my GT-I9100 using JK-Forum
Thanks Mick,

I'm really looking forward to bonding with this Jeep like I did my last one
I never did name the TJ even after 2 years and 40,000 miles from Alaska to Argentina, so who knows if I'll name this one.

-Dan
Old 10-10-2015, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subscribed

A few years ago, I dreamed of driving ring road in Afghanistan in my Jeep. I of course wrote it off because I am intimately familiar with the dangers. Wow, cannot wait to see this unfold, especially after I complete an Africa Studies class next semester. Looks like the folks already subscribed have some great resources. I'm not well versed on Africa, but certainly wish you well. If you decide to take on the Middle East, I'd love to follow that one too. Will check out your website as well. BEST of luck!
Old 10-13-2015, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Liveoutside
A few years ago, I dreamed of driving ring road in Afghanistan in my Jeep. I of course wrote it off because I am intimately familiar with the dangers. Wow, cannot wait to see this unfold, especially after I complete an Africa Studies class next semester. Looks like the folks already subscribed have some great resources. I'm not well versed on Africa, but certainly wish you well. If you decide to take on the Middle East, I'd love to follow that one too. Will check out your website as well. BEST of luck!
Thanks for the worlds of encouragement.

Now that I've built my ultimate overlander Jeep that I can live out of, I have dreams of where I'll go after Africa, though it will depend on my bank account more than anything else.
I'll tackle Africa first, then see where I'm at

-Dan
Old 10-22-2015, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

The diesel conversion on my Jeep is extremely close to finished.

I put an insulated cover on my Dometic CFX-35 fridge to combat the extremely hot temperatures I expect in Africa

I made it official:

I've built a drinking water tank/pump/filtration setup using a Shurflow 12v pump and a PURA UV1 0.5 micron filter and UV lamp

More details and photos on The Road Chose Me

I can't wait to drive it!

-Dan
Old 11-24-2015, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey everyone,

The Diesel conversion in my Jeep has been an enormous amount of work, unfortunately the Jeep wasn't ready for SEMA.
Maybe I'll make it in sometime the future.

Things are coming together really well, I absolutely can not wait to drive my Jeep.

All the details on the Mercedes Diesel conversion and a ton of new photos are now in today's issue of the FREE JPFreek Adventure Magazine

-Dan

Last edited by Grecy; 11-24-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

Here's a curve ball for the plan - the Mercedes Diesel engine sucked leaking diesel and ranaway, revving at 7k for 5-10 seconds. Scary stuff indeed.
We're pretty sure valves met pistons, and the engine is dead.

After all of this, with all of the money and time invested, I've decided to sell the Jeep and cut my losses.

For sale thread here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jeep...1/#post4177453

I'm fighting hard to still get myself and a Jeep Wrangler to Africa.
More to come on that front soon.

Always an adventure, even when unplanned!

-Dan
Old 01-12-2016, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

I lived in Liberia, Uganda, and Egypt as a child as my parents where with the State department. All I can say is while there are some beautiful places in Africa, there are also some dangerous as hell places. That said, good luck, watch for snakes, lions...well hell you will be at the bottom of the food chain. Good luck!!!!
Old 01-29-2016, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

I read through the thread getting excited about the progress on things. I am really sorry to read the engine is done and she is up for sale. Best of luck to you on the next project and we will be here waiting for updates!

RockZJ
Old 03-07-2016, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Everyone,

I've had a challenging few months, and I'm more than overdue to give you all an update.

All the details of what happened and the path forward to Africa are in today's issue of JPFreek Adventure Magazine

I feel extremely lucky to be supported by new friends and family, without their support I don't think I would have found a way forward.

Tons of details in the coming days and weeks,

-Dan
Old 03-09-2016, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Phase two of the Africa Jeep build is now complete.

Tons and tons of pictures here: Jeep Build Phase 2 Complete | The road chose me

Onwards to the final piece, EJS, then Africa.

-Dan

Quick Reply: Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me