Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Old 09-04-2015, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Hey Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a TJ 40,000 miles from the top of Alaska to the bottom of Argentina. (Summary and details of the trip on my website The Road Chose Me)

It's been a long time in the making, and I'm bursting with excitement to announce my next Overland adventure:

Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2007 JKUR with custom diesel conversion, camper setup and more.

The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine.

Checkout today's issue for the trip announcement and details of the build: JPFreek Adventure Magazine Spring 2015 Page 116

Also I've got an announcement on my website with my personal feelings and thoughts: New Jeep. New Adventure. Africa | The road chose me

I hope you'll join me for the ride

-Dan

Last edited by Grecy; 09-04-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Everyone,

I'm in the middle of an 8,000 mile road trip before the 80,000 mile road trip of my dreams.

The reasoning and rationale for everything I’ve done, and will do, is now online in the new edition of JPFreek Magazine.
Check it out to understand my madness.

Reg cut the roll bar for me (I was too scared to do it myself)

I put heat and sound insulation in the entire Jeep. Let's see if it keep out those 130F+ days in Africa

I built lightweight cabinets using plastic connectors, aluminum tube and plywood.

The finished product which can be converted into a sleeping platform, including Dometic CFX-35 Fridge - which has been amazing.

Tons more pictures on my site: Jeep Build Phase 1 Complete | The road chose me

The whole story, pictures and reasoning for it all are in the new edition of JPFreek Magazine

-Dan

P.S. The V6 gas engine is out, and the diesel conversion is well underway!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Subscribed, looks pretty sweet. I hope you have done your homework on Sub-Saharan Africa.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Everyone,

I'm extremely proud to announce my Jeep and I are entered into SEMA in Vegas from November 3-6.

Massive thanks to AEV and JPFreek.

Also, here's a test-fit of the Mercedes OM606 3.0 turbo diesel in my JK. Tons of work to go, I can't wait to get this thing back on the road!

Bound for SEMA | The road chose me

If you are attending SEMA this year, please stop by and say hello.
The Jeep and I will also be at the public event Friday night "Friday Ignited"

-Dan
Old 09-18-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks awesome
Old 09-18-2015, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed!
Old 09-20-2015, 10:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Looks like a fantastic trip--best of luck with it!
Old 09-20-2015, 11:12 PM
JK Junkie

Looks cool. Hope you have done your homework though and planned your trip well. There are certain areas you should really stay away from.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Looks cool. Hope you have done your homework though and planned your trip well. There are certain areas you should really stay away from.
I second this statement. I have worked as a security professional in some very dangerous locales globally. Sub-Saharan Africa is another level of danger even with a well trained protective security detail.

I am sure you have considered this, and do not intend to treat you as a novice traveler. All of that said, please use all resources at your disposal.

Suggest you check out (if you have not already done so): CIA World Fact Book, state.gov, OSAC, Stratfor. Determine where closest U.S. Consulates/Embassies, and U.S./U.N. Military bases are on your route, as well as multiple contingency plans.

Fail to plan = plan to fail. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Best of luck.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by doc5339

I second this statement. I have worked as a security professional in some very dangerous locales globally. Sub-Saharan Africa is another level of danger even with a well trained protective security detail.

I am sure you have considered this, and do not intend to treat you as a novice traveler. All of that said, please use all resources at your disposal.

Suggest you check out (if you have not already done so): CIA World Fact Book, state.gov, OSAC, Stratfor. Determine where closest U.S. Consulates/Embassies, and U.S./U.N. Military bases are on your route, as well as multiple contingency plans.

Fail to plan = plan to fail. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Best of luck.
Good sources. I was mainly thinking of areas that Boko Haram operate like Nigeria, Cameroon and such. They are an Islamic Terrorist group btw of you weren't aware.

Again good luck with your travels and it's sounds like a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me