Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV vs RK Lift

Old 10-05-2015, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maul
Hello all,

I'm wrapping up my USN deployment soon and I'll be returning to a 2016 JKU Sport waiting for me to be picked up. This will be my only vehicle making it my daily driver. I've been doing a lot of research on what lift I want to add to it when I get home and through all the forums, countless reviews and arguments I've read, I've been convinced I've narrowed my options down to either one of the AEV or RK kits. I've come to you all to ask what everyone's personal experiences are with these lifts or things that make them vouch or even changed from AEV to RK or vice versa.

Goals with my JKU:
It's inevitable my Jeep is going to see a large amount of time on the road, so I want a lift that excels in on road handling but I can play with one or two weekends out of the month.

Things to consider:
-This is my ONLY vehicle and I have next to no mechanical experience. So in the event I'm wheeling and something breaks, I'll most likely have to pay for professional help along with the part(s).
-As much as I want to think I'm gonna be extreme wheeling, flexing and destroying the trails on my Jeep, it's ultimately not going to be high on my priority list of hobbies. My main off time hobbies consist of games, trampoline warehouses and food. So while I want to have fun, paying 2K for a lift would be my absolute limit.
-I've also decided I'm going to run 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's.
-I'll be stationed in Norfolk, VA, I'm not familiar with the wheeling terrain out there, but if anyone is then that'd help my choice as well. Look forward to reading everyones responses.
From an old retired Navy Chief, Thank You for serving!

Please disregard all of the below if you have had lifted vehicles and/or past off road experience (so I feel less foolish);

When I see your plans about having a primary daily driver and the statement about wanting to spend 2k or so for a lift, and where offroading falls in your priorities, I have to ask this question; Why not put some more aggressive tires of the stock size on your Sport and join a club, do some wheeling before you jump into the lift game? It is quite capable stock and I think knowledge of the vehicle and experience in wheeling are as important as any lift.

Because unless you have deep pockets IMO JEEP can stand for Just Empty Every Pocket once you start seriously modding the suspension. Especially if you do not intend to do the mods (and repairs) yourself.

This is my first Jeep and I have no experience modding my JK (beyond some engine/drive train performance mods 6 years ago) but this not my first off road vehicle and I have modded before. There is almost nothing cooler looking than a lifted Jeep but I think many are used only to go places a stock JK (with a good driver) could already go.

All I am suggesting is if you are not going to wheel it hard or often try out your stock Sport first on the less radical stuff, get a feel for it before you leap.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-05-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee

Please disregard all of the below if you have had lifted vehicles and/or past off road experience (so I feel less foolish);

When I see your plans about having a primary daily driver and the statement about wanting to spend 2k or so for a lift, and where offroading falls in your priorities, I have to ask this question; Why not put some more aggressive tires of the stock size on your Sport and join a club, do some wheeling before you jump into the lift game? It is quite capable stock and I think knowledge of the vehicle and experience in wheeling are as important as any lift.

Because unless you have deep pockets IMO JEEP can stand for Just Empty Every Pocket once you start seriously modding the suspension. Especially if you do not intend to do the mods (and repairs) yourself.

This is my first Jeep and I have no experience modding my JK (beyond some engine/drive train performance mods 6 years ago) but this not my first off road vehicle and I have modded before. There is almost nothing cooler looking than a lifted Jeep but I think many are used only to go places a stock JK (with a good driver) could already go.

All I am suggesting is if you are not going to wheel it hard or often try out your stock Sport first on the less radical stuff, get a feel for it before you leap.
I have been thinking about this as well, I was going to try to plan a couple meets with people nearby that already have the lifts I'm looking into to get a feel of it compared to my stock ride. I don't think I thought about getting new tires with no lift yet because I've been set on 35" tires mostly and didn't think that would be possible without a lift. I'll definitely try to not rush my decision with all this in mind, thank you Chief!
Old 10-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

This is the path I'm pursuing, I'm just preparing and getting educated on taking the next steps of adding a lift and bigger tires and being aware of all the other items that go into this investment as well. My plan is to wheel stock, with the only mods being installing a winch and some rock rails to learn the limits of where I'm currently at with stock but having a winch available if/when I exceed those limits and find myself stuck in a rut.

However, I'm going to hold off on the larger tires 1st suggestion. I kind of figure, I don't want to invest in the larger tires with the thought in the back of my mind that I may want to go with a lift with larger tires and then have to turn around and invest in larger tires again. I'ld probably only go that route if I found a good deal on some used wider 32's take offs.

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-05-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
This is the path I'm pursuing, I'm just preparing and getting educated on taking the next steps of adding a lift and bigger tires and being aware of all the other items that go into this investment as well. My plan is to wheel stock, with the only mods being installing a winch and some rock rails to learn the limits of where I'm currently at with stock but having a winch available if/when I exceed those limits and find myself stuck in a rut.

However, I'm going to hold off on the larger tires 1st suggestion. I kind of figure, I don't want to invest in the larger tires with the thought in the back of my mind that I may want to go with a lift with larger tires and then have to turn around and invest in larger tires again. I'ld probably only go that route if I found a good deal on some used wider 32's take offs.
I should have clarified. When I said more aggressive tires I was thinking of something like slightly used Rubicon BFG's. They seem quite often available as people move to taller tires and sell them before they are worn out. That decision might require purchasing new rims (wheels) depending on what one already has but those new wheels (if not wider than 8.5") could mount both the Rubi tires and later on taller/wider tires.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have clarified. When I said more aggressive tires I was thinking of something like slightly used Rubicon BFG's. They seem quite often available as people move to taller tires and sell them before they are worn out. That decision might require purchasing new rims (wheels) depending on what one already has but those new wheels (if not wider than 8.5") could mount both the Rubi tires and later on taller/wider tires.
ahh okay I see. what size tires would you recommend?
Old 10-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Since Yankee hasn't responded. I was just doing some research on this, and it seems like the larger stock tires go up to a 32in diameter. So I'm thinking you may be able to go up to a 33in without needing a lift but you'll want something wider than stock tires.

Duratrac and BF Goodrich KM, KM2's, KO, and KO2's seem to be some of the more popular recommendations.

I've pretty much decided on a 35in, BF Goodrich KO2 when I get a lift installed. I've read a lot of good things about the KO2's for good on road and off road performance, while providing good wear mileage at the same time. However, finding a used set of KO2's might be challenging at this time, since they're relatively new. KM2's would likely be available, but aren't known for as good as mileage wear as the newer KO2's.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There are some 265/70-17 duratracs on craigslist right now that would fit the bill. They'll give you a good idea of what direction you may want to go from there.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

The Rubicons BFG's are 32" (LT255/75R17/C). I think they are about a 10" wide tread footprint and will fit a 17" wheel 6.5" to 8.5" wide. If you have 17" wheels and you want to start out on the trails stock then as I mentioned, I would just find a used set of those. That way you can play around without investing too much money up front. It seems to me the main limitation of your Sport for moderate wheeling would be the stock tires.

If you are set on starting with 35" then you should lift first. Or you can also put 35's on with no lift, involving trimmed/replaced fenders and some other tweaking which you can find with a search on this forum.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-13-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: AEV vs RK Lift