Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Antenna mount question

Old 03-08-2016, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a similar antenna mount to the hood on the drivers side, and also have a rear antenna mount elevated above the tire.

As far as reception goes, the mount on the hood is the best.

I grounded my mount to an existing grounding bolt inside the engine compartment close to where the mount is. I had to leave extra length in the wires to the antenna and ground under the hood to allow the hood to be lifted up without stretching the wires.

BTW, my mount is more complicated since it mounts to the hood itself with set screws against spacers. That's why I ran a ground wire. I have taken it off so I don't get an unfaded patch of paint underneath it and now use the rear antennas and that works fine. But, the reception was better with the hood mount.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925b.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	640012

Last edited by bbolander; 03-08-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:54 AM
biv
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the signal strength? I'm new to the hobby, have a 2m mobile unit installed, however have yet finish the job due to not being able to decide on an antenna. I would prefer something shorter, but some the guys in my local club are suggesting something around the 40" mark. So I'm curious as to how the ~18" antenna does.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by biv
How's the signal strength? I'm new to the hobby, have a 2m mobile unit installed, however have yet finish the job due to not being able to decide on an antenna. I would prefer something shorter, but some the guys in my local club are suggesting something around the 40" mark. So I'm curious as to how the ~18" antenna does.
I don't have any numbers but the signal strength was great - using it on a group run to talk to others in the group. I haven't tried to use it to access a repeater at long distance.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I made a 5 hole antenna mount just forward of that position, aligned with the 'windshield' loop on the hood. It works perfectly. As far as navigating narrow trails with brush the answer, for me at least, was a foldover antenna. Even strapped to the loop in the middle of the hood it does pretty good. While theoretically it's not ideal it works rather well. It also works for daily commute which include entering covered parking but allow for a fullsize antenna.

Last edited by CombatDiver; 03-21-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by coolhand129
For a CB, just leave it there. Make sure the mounting point is isolated properly from the antenna. I had a reading of about 3 initially. I drilled out the mounting point hole a bit to give additional clearance and the SWR went to 1.1.
So I'm a little unclear as to the grounding need... does the mount need to be grounded or the actual antenna? I use the spare tire mount on my JK with a 4" Firestik II. I have a ground wire ran from the base of the antenna stud to a bolt in the body of the jeep. I read that the tailgate is not adequate due to plastic bushing in the hinges... Sorry to be so elementary but could really use some help. My over size tire also is in contact with the antenna on the lower portion but the antenna is rubber coated.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 08-22-2016, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cape34
So I'm a little unclear as to the grounding need... does the mount need to be grounded or the actual antenna? I use the spare tire mount on my JK with a 4" Firestik II. I have a ground wire ran from the base of the antenna stud to a bolt in the body of the jeep. I read that the tailgate is not adequate due to plastic bushing in the hinges... Sorry to be so elementary but could really use some help. My over size tire also is in contact with the antenna on the lower portion but the antenna is rubber coated.

Thanks for any advice!
You should just follow the directions that are on the website for installation. Grounding of most antennas is very important. HOWEVER, it looks like the antenna the OP is referring to is not an antenna that requires a ground plane. Cape34, your antenna is a Firestick II. It does require a groundplane.

All antennas require some type of counterpoise of ground for them to work. The counterpoise can be the grounded fender of the body of the vehicle, or it can be the coax cable (not optimal). For the Quadratec fender mount antenna, it says that it is custom wound and the cable is of a specific length and the cable should not be coiled. This tells me that it is a NGP No Ground Plane antenna. The Firestick II says on the webiste. "These are ground-plane dependent antennas. They require a metalic counterpoise to perform properly."

Last edited by maxspongebob; 08-22-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by maxspongebob

You should just follow the directions that are on the website for installation. Grounding of most antennas is very important. HOWEVER, it looks like the antenna the OP is referring to is not an antenna that requires a ground plane. Cape34, your antenna is a Firestick II. It does require a groundplane.

All antennas require some type of counterpoise of ground for them to work. The counterpoise can be the grounded fender of the body of the vehicle, or it can be the coax cable (not optimal). For the Quadratec fender mount antenna, it says that it is custom wound and the cable is of a specific length and the cable should not be coiled. This tells me that it is a NGP No Ground Plane antenna. The Firestick II says on the webiste. "These are ground-plane dependent antennas. They require a metalic counterpoise to perform properly."
Thx for all the help. Moved the ground. Was getting SWR 3+ now I'm 1.1-1.2...
Old 09-11-2016, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question for the CB gurus.

Backstory first.

In our club 4 of us purchased the Cobra 75 in a group buy. We also purchased 18' coax and 5' Wilson fiberglass antennas mounted with Rugged Ridge tailgate mounts with extra ground wire. All these radios were set up and checked with SWR meter. Mine for instance is at 1.0 and 1.1 at 1 and 40.. Reception is so pathetic we hardly use them. GMRS even works better so we all carry Walky's. We are totally line of site and even at 1/2 mile seeing others we cannot communicate. We were told that up north here there is so much interference that even truck drivers no longer use CB.
So we have gone to VHF with a dedicated Jeep Chanel (and logging truck channels) that allow us to communicate up to 25klm without the use of repeater service.

So the question is: If I am getting SWR readings of 1.0 and 1.1 @ channel 1 and 40. Why do I get pathetic reception? Your opinions please.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand the whole ground plane idea but one would think that with the vehicle ground plane being infront of the antenna the radio should receive and project a signal strongly forward.
Many years ago I use to always have rear trunk lid or rear bumper mounted antennas that worked fine. I have been out of the CB loop for about 20years.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

I just used my Yeasu FT-8800R mobile in my Rubicon with the ham antenna located in the rear on an Arizona Rocky Roads mount that brings the antenna above the spare tire. The receiving and transmitting signals were VERY strong through different repeaters up to 30 miles away with me at several different locations.

I even used my handheld Yaesu VX-5R walking around with the same repeaters up to 30 miles away. I received and monitored very well. My transmission was a little weak but legible, even with the OEM little antenna. And the battery lasted fine for the 2 days I was out.

I didn't use my CB and did not have my CB antenna on the other Arizona Rocky Roads mount.

Quick Reply: Antenna mount question