Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

New to CB

Old 02-20-2016, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to CB

Yeah guys! I'm a little new to using a CB radio. I'm starting out with a cheep one just a little cobra to get me started. I have my antenna mounted on the tail gate and the cable is already taken care of. The CB is above my mirror. What is the easiest way to wire the power cables? Can I hook it to the battery directly? And do I have to do any kind of tuning in this thing?
Old 02-20-2016, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

What kind of jeep do you have? I have a 13 JKU and I bought a plug for the cig lighter and ran the wires from the CB down the drivers side and then ran the wires from the plug under the dash . When I want to use my CB I plug it in and turn it on. Don't have to worry about leaving it on when I turn the engine ofg
Old 02-21-2016, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Absolutely run a twisted pair of wires of directly to the battery for best results.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2009 JKUR
The CB has an on off switch so I figured a direct battery connection didn't matter
Old 02-21-2016, 01:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdover
Absolutely run a twisted pair of wires of directly to the battery for best results.
Exactly. Always power it directly from the battery. And a cheap CB is fine. CBs of all prices almost always have the same performance. There are small differences in receive performance but it's largely immaterial.

There is nothing to tune in a CB radio itself, but the antenna must be installed in a way that has a low SWR (standing wave ratio). To determine this, you'll hook the antenna and it's coax up to a quality SWR meter (not in the radio).

Tunable antennas should allow you to dial in the SWR then you're good to go.

Enjoy.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by arjeeper

Exactly. Always power it directly from the battery. And a cheap CB is fine. CBs of all prices almost always have the same performance. There are small differences in receive performance but it's largely immaterial.

There is nothing to tune in a CB radio itself, but the antenna must be installed in a way that has a low SWR (standing wave ratio). To determine this, you'll hook the antenna and it's coax up to a quality SWR meter (not in the radio).

Tunable antennas should allow you to dial in the SWR then you're good to go.

Enjoy.
I'm learning still... I have read that the worst place to mount the antenna is where I was planning to mount it... the spare tire. So until I can find a better location and buy a mount how do I best ground the antenna
Old 08-11-2016, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

If that is The only place then use a good Mount and cable. I had a 5 ft fire stick and their mount and got a SWR of 1.2. It worked well. I now have a larsen antenna mounted on gobi rack and it's no better
Old 08-12-2016, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by coolhand129
If that is The only place then use a good Mount and cable. I had a 5 ft fire stick and their mount and got a SWR of 1.2. It worked well. I now have a larsen antenna mounted on gobi rack and it's no better
Thx!
How do I best ground the antenna?
Can I use 14ga. Copper wire on the antenna stud ran to a bolt on the main jeep body?
Old 08-13-2016, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cape34
Thx! How do I best ground the antenna? Can I use 14ga. Copper wire on the antenna stud ran to a bolt on the main jeep body?
If you have a tire rack mount, make sure the hole is big enough so that the antenna is isolated from the mount. The firestick mount has a nylon washer with a ridge that fits in the hole to center the mount without touching the steel of the mounting bracket. I had to drill mine out a little and it made all the difference. I used no wire to ground the mount.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by coolhand129

If you have a tire rack mount, make sure the hole is big enough so that the antenna is isolated from the mount. The firestick mount has a nylon washer with a ridge that fits in the hole to center the mount without touching the steel of the mounting bracket. I had to drill mine out a little and it made all the difference. I used no wire to ground the mount.
OK good. I bought the firestick and a stud that uses the nylon spacer.
Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: New to CB