Notices
Member Video Creations Please post your favorite JK related video link here. Members only please.

Smittybilt Defender Roof Rack Installation

Old 05-07-2016, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Callahan
Hey there. Been following your Youtube trail videos and was wondering how you like the rack after some trail time with it?

Thanks!
I'm still very happy with the rack. Perfect for my needs. My only complaints, and it is very minor, is a bit of wind noise when I am on the freeway... but when I am doing the speed limit, it's pretty quiet!!
Old 05-23-2016, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

is all the hardware just regular nuts and bolts? or is there anything in the hardware to help prevent theft like allenheads etc?
Old 05-24-2016, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pitbull62
is all the hardware just regular nuts and bolts? or is there anything in the hardware to help prevent theft like allenheads etc?
No theft protection, I guess a motivated thief could remove the rack and front mounting brackets, but the rear bolts can only be accessed by opening the back window.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrailRecon
I'm still very happy with the rack. Perfect for my needs. My only complaints, and it is very minor, is a bit of wind noise when I am on the freeway... but when I am doing the speed limit, it's pretty quiet!!
have you noticed a significant drop in mpg's? If your hearing wind noise surely there is drag being created just wondering if it's significant. This is the only rack i would consider. I'm not a huge fan of the "cage" style but would buy if the defender didn't work out. Also contemplated a Yakima but with the bars then add the basket were talking 10" or so it seems like by pictures I've seen. I need to fit my jeep in the garage.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pitbull62
have you noticed a significant drop in mpg's? If your hearing wind noise surely there is drag being created just wondering if it's significant. This is the only rack i would consider. I'm not a huge fan of the "cage" style but would buy if the defender didn't work out. Also contemplated a Yakima but with the bars then add the basket were talking 10" or so it seems like by pictures I've seen. I need to fit my jeep in the garage.
I loose about 1 mpg with it on. The thing I like about the rack is that I can easily take it off or put it on in 10 minutes (with my son helping). So I don't drive with it on all the time. With my 2.5" lift, I still have plenty of clearance getting in the garage with it on.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Great video, thanks for sharing. I'm gonna go and check out your other videos as well.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TrailRecon
Installed a Smittybilt Defender roof rack yesterday and could't be happier.

Here is an install video we created. https://youtu.be/KCaQ5Ro3AA0
This looks great. Ive been researching racks as well primarily for carrying two kayaks. Ive been very torn on which one to go with.

Question: How are you going to install lights on this? Where will you run the wires? This issue has been a big one for me as its limited me so far to systems that utilize the A Pillar mount. Secondly, do Kayak mounts work with this cage?

Last edited by powrsurg; 01-21-2019 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt Defender Roof Rack Installation