Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My Pioneer AVH-4200NEX with Maestro RR

Old 07-13-2016, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very happy with the AVH-4200 NEX

Have truly enjoyed using this Pioneer head unit. I like the fact that I can take the faceplate off to help deter theft. My Kicker speakers sound so much better, the sound is no longer muddled and carplay works without issues. On a recent trip found the IHeartRadio app to be a much better choice than Sirus. Happy I choose not to renew. Would highly recommend anyone looking to upgrade from their factory system. Only problem is what to do with the old HU.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had my 4200 installed for a couple of weeks now and I am happy with it.
Sounds quality is fantastic!

Have a question about the mic.
How are you guys mounting the mic?
I tried the factory hole but wasn't really happy with it cause the clip was loose and the mic was kind of all over the place moving around.
I ended up using the left windshield pillar screw access hole for now.
Did you guys jam something like cardboard pieces on the back side of the windshield pillar plastic to keep the clip tight so the mic don't move around?

position_7055
Old 07-15-2016, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

I clipped mine where the 2 pillar pieces meet. I used a piece of double-sided tape under it (on the inside of the pillar) so it stays put. Works pretty well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160715_093255.jpg
Views:	1139
Size:	795.3 KB
ID:	652355

Originally Posted by ikaros
I have had my 4200 installed for a couple of weeks now and I am happy with it.
Sounds quality is fantastic!

Have a question about the mic.
How are you guys mounting the mic?
I tried the factory hole but wasn't really happy with it cause the clip was loose and the mic was kind of all over the place moving around.
I ended up using the left windshield pillar screw access hole for now.
Did you guys jam something like cardboard pieces on the back side of the windshield pillar plastic to keep the clip tight so the mic don't move around?

position_7055
Old 07-17-2016, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by theglobalguy
Looks great..I put the AVH-4000NEX in my 2010 Rubi a couple of years ago and just had it ripped out on Monday at a local parking lot. Getting the 4200 as a replacement...looking forward to seeing some of the upgrades.

Attachment 651827Attachment 651828
was that unit bolted in? most shops don't take the time to bolt the head units in via the strap at the back of the radio, which prevents most amateur thieves (who don't typically carry tools).

This is precisely why you must have a removable face unit....

Last edited by bushpilot; 07-18-2016 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pioneer makes double din head units with removable face plates.
The 4200nex has a removable face plate, it's a nice feature to have

2015 Hydro Blue JKU
Old 07-18-2016, 03:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ikaros
Pioneer makes double din head units with removable face plates.
The 4200nex has a removable face plate, it's a nice feature to have

2015 Hydro Blue JKU
thanks!
Old 07-30-2016, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I hope to the same or similar upgrade in a couple weeks and have a question. I have a 2011 with the 130S (I believe) with Uconnect, steering wheel controls and Sirius XM. I typically listen to Sirius or stream Pandora. Does anybody know if the Sirius tuner is built into the HU in the 2011 130S? Trying to figure out if I need the separate tuner like the OP did or if my Jeep already has a separate tuner. Wish there was a way to use the factory mic for hands free.

Also, I was wondering how the Pandora app works on this unit. Does it need to be connected to your phone for it to work?

Sorry for the dumb questions.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cride
So I hope to the same or similar upgrade in a couple weeks and have a question. I have a 2011 with the 130S (I believe) with Uconnect, steering wheel controls and Sirius XM. I typically listen to Sirius or stream Pandora. Does anybody know if the Sirius tuner is built into the HU in the 2011 130S? Trying to figure out if I need the separate tuner like the OP did or if my Jeep already has a separate tuner. Wish there was a way to use the factory mic for hands free. Also, I was wondering how the Pandora app works on this unit. Does it need to be connected to your phone for it to work? Sorry for the dumb questions.
You'll need a separate tuner and additional subscription unless you are already a paying customer, then they will move it. In my experience they would not move my free trial that Jeep provided.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am hoping to start my build in the next couple weeks. I think I am going to go with the AVH-4100NEX mainly because I have found a used one in near perfect condition for $350.

I found these on Amazon that I am thinking of using rather than just running loose cables.

This one will go in place of the cigarette lighter because I will most likely access it more often for Car Play and Android Auto.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013W7YIIC...I3FW9FTYNRNM2W

The one question I have is, will the USB coming off the back of the HU act as a charger also? Because I am replacing my cigarette lighter I will need a way to charge my phone at time.

I am going to try to find a place in the console for this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IJGIFN0...0OWQM7LR&psc=1

Don't think I will use this one as much.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-05-2016, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cride
I am hoping to start my build in the next couple weeks. I think I am going to go with the AVH-4100NEX mainly because I have found a used one in near perfect condition for $350. I found these on Amazon that I am thinking of using rather than just running loose cables. This one will go in place of the cigarette lighter because I will most likely access it more often for Car Play and Android Auto. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013W7YIIC...I3FW9FTYNRNM2W The one question I have is, will the USB coming off the back of the HU act as a charger also? Because I am replacing my cigarette lighter I will need a way to charge my phone at time. I am going to try to find a place in the console for this one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IJGIFN0...0OWQM7LR&psc=1 Don't think I will use this one as much. What do you guys think?
Yes both USBs on the back of the unit charge but only one can be used for CarPlay.

Quick Reply: My Pioneer AVH-4200NEX with Maestro RR