Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Hood Latches

Old 05-06-2016, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking Hood Latches

Hi!! What is the thought on locking hood latches? I've heard it's a great idea but then I also hear that they are a pain. Any thoughts on putting them on and if so what brand should I purchase? Thanks!!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your concerned about locking the hood. BOLT makes a kit that uses your Jeep Key and its bolt on... no pun intended.

http://www.amazon.com/BOLT-7026128-J...T+hood+lock+JK

I do want some hood latches though. Its not on my immediate to do list.. no problems with hood flutter yet.

these are the ones I want

http://www.amazon.com/Drake-Off-Road...ood+latches+JK
Old 05-06-2016, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

My problem with hood locks is this, generally fires start under the hood. You are going to feel pretty dumb if you cant get your hood open in time for a tiny fire extinguisher to put out the fire when you are fumbling for your keys.

Not really a huge issue on street jeeps, but fires can and do happen on the trail and that will ruin your week pretty quick.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TweakJK
My problem with hood locks is this, generally fires start under the hood. You are going to feel pretty dumb if you cant get your hood open in time for a tiny fire extinguisher to put out the fire when you are fumbling for your keys. Not really a huge issue on street jeeps, but fires can and do happen on the trail and that will ruin your week pretty quick.
I used be worried about mine being locked and putting out a fire under the hood. I just plan to just reach under jeep and point fire extinguisher up! Opening the hood will allow more air to feed fire. Will see if it ever happens?
Old 05-07-2016, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
If your concerned about locking the hood. BOLT makes a kit that uses your Jeep Key and its bolt on... no pun intended. http://www.amazon.com/BOLT-7026128-J...T+hood+lock+JK I do want some hood latches though. Its not on my immediate to do list.. no problems with hood flutter yet. these are the ones I want http://www.amazon.com/Drake-Off-Road...ood+latches+JK

Agree this is a good way to go. I took a similar approach, with slightly different parts. Another hood lock that uses Jeep key and Rugged Ridge latches.... Secure, no extra keys, and no more hood flutter.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

Arrow

x3 to the above.
Less on the hood. No extra keys. No- brainer. Cheap and effective.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MSabs22
x3 to the above.
Less on the hood. No extra keys. No- brainer. Cheap and effective.
I have the Mopar one. Amazon has the best price that I know of. Uses stock key installs easily. I think it's worth a look.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tuffy hood lock works, and can be left locked or unlocked -- to the point about needing access to the engine bay if off-road. I've never liked the weak locking hood latches.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

I run Rampage latches and love them. They can be left unlocked as well. They look sleek too.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a set of new rampage hood locks for sale if anyone on this thread is looking for a pair...

Quick Reply: Locking Hood Latches