Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front axel u joint toast

Old 05-27-2016, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
So is it the axle shaft or the drive shaft? These are two different things.

Assuming you mean axle shaft (since the stock drive shaft has no u joints) - you should also consider upgrading both shafts, not just the u joints.
Watcha talking bout Willis?

The front of the OEM front driveshaft is a U-Joint, the T-case end of the front drive shaft is a rzeppa joint. At least it was on my 2014.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't had one for so long, I forgot. I think you're right.

It's the rear that has CV's on both ends.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larry0071
My opinion is that if you have stock-ish sized tires, replace it with a MOOG, TRW or Dana/Spicer joint and you'll be good to go for many more years.

If you have 35" tires or larger, I would seriously consider just doing a set of Ten Factory alloy shafts (or similar).
Ten Factory JK Dana 30 27 Spline Alloy Shafts/Joints.
https://new.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...front-axle-kit

While I was there and into the fray, I would absolutely consider doing both front axle shaft U-joints at the same time and not just the one that failed. NorthRidge 4x4 has the Dana/Spicer Joints, and I would link them to you, but I don't know what year your JK is. Call NR4x4 and they can send you the seals and joints if you want to just replace your old worn parts.

I would also pop the diff out, scrub out the case, knock out the axle seals and replace with new, and get some fresh new axle lube in there. I'm sure that the seals that are in there have seen better days and tossing in a new set of seals for about $40 could very well prevent you from tearing into this axle again in a few months or years when the leakage begins.

Dana/Spicer OEM Axle Seals:
https://new.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...-tube-oil-seal
Not in the market for new shafts right now. But I agree this would be the time to change them. I have a few other 'wants' to spend $$ on. I did buy spicer joints and decided to do both sides. I'm running 35s on 15 inch steel wheels 08 JKU Dana 30. She doesn't take a lot of abuse but still needs some regular maintenance though. Thank you for your input. And thank your son for his service!! We get to have conversations on a forum like this because of people like him. God Bless America!!!
Old 05-27-2016, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I, on the other hand, would highly discourage you from upgrading your front shafts. If you had something other than a Dana 30 I would agree, but being that you do, it wouldn't be a good idea. You will transfer all the stress that was once on the axle shafts (which are easy to carry spares and easy to change, relatively cheap too) onto the ring and pinion. I would just replace it with a Napa brand u-joint. They're made by spicer.
I did buy spicer joints. Changing both sides. 08 JKU Dana 30. Not in the market for new shafts at this time. Thanks for your advice man!!
Old 05-29-2016, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Whew! Glad that's done! Only broke one bolt but it took me all day to break it free. Pretty simple job if all goes well. But I always suggest preparing for the unplanned obstacle...
Old 07-24-2016, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lonesometree
Whew! Glad that's done! Only broke one bolt but it took me all day to break it free. Pretty simple job if all goes well. But I always suggest preparing for the unplanned obstacle...
Do you know the part number for the u joints that you bought? Mine are needing to be replaced soon. Amazon says that some fit and some don't but the reviews are mixed on whether or not they work for the JK.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TreyJK
Do you know the part number for the u joints that you bought? Mine are needing to be replaced soon. Amazon says that some fit and some don't but the reviews are mixed on whether or not they work for the JK.
Believe the spicer part # is 5-760x.

Also think the newer model years have a different part #. Hope someone will clarify.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sa29560
Believe the spicer part # is 5-760x. Also think the newer model years have a different part #. Hope someone will clarify.
Thanks for the info, I went ahead and ordered a set!

Quick Reply: Front axel u joint toast