Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

GhostRHR slow Form=Function build

Old 06-02-2016, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GhostRHR slow Form=Function build

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
- Granite Crystal Metallic
- Auto w/ 4.10
- 430N
- Dual Tops
- Side airbags
- Auto Temp Control

This is my first Jeep, I have only had it for less then 2 months and I am already wondering why I waited so long to get one! This will be a pretty slow and methodical build. As i want to really research each component I add. Also trying to do work to my house at the same time so a lot of big purchases at one time just isn't realistic. This will be a more expo type of build, and I'm sure a lot of people may disagree with some of the choices I make along the way and that is ok I will appreciate the feed back either way. So far all I have done is 20% Tint on the front windows to match, and 13" black billet antenna.

Currently on order:
- JW Speaker Evolution J 8700 LED headlights (black housing)
- JW Speaker Model 279 J Series LED Taillights
- JW Speaker 6145 J Series fog lights (black housing) w/ wiring harness adapter

Ideas for future mods
- 50" Light Bar
- Genisis Dual battery kit
- SPOD ( or other switch option for accessories)
- Winch (currently leaning towards Zeon 8s)
- 3.5" lift
- Wheels and 35" Tires (leaning towards 20" wheels as I love the look on 4doors)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	648659  
Old 06-02-2016, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

With the 4dr and building for expo, you may want to be a little more generous on the winch and go towards a higher rating.

Dual batteries are the business- you don't notice them until you need them.....or your jumping someone and they look in disbelief at your duals.

Depending on how 'expo' you plan on going (light forest trails with camping or middle of the Amazon rainforest) you may want to consider running a more common sized wheel so it'll be easier to find tires in remote areas. This is straight from form follows function- you should pick tires that will be easy to source due to the expo idea.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
With the 4dr and building for expo, you may want to be a little more generous on the winch and go towards a higher rating.

Dual batteries are the business- you don't notice them until you need them.....or your jumping someone and they look in disbelief at your duals.

Depending on how 'expo' you plan on going (light forest trails with camping or middle of the Amazon rainforest) you may want to consider running a more common sized wheel so it'll be easier to find tires in remote areas. This is straight from form follows function- you should pick tires that will be easy to source due to the expo idea.
Going to be a fairly mild build for now and will add as experience tells me what I think would make life a little more enjoyable without spending unnecessarily on gadgets just to have them. Great point about the tires though! Something I really haven't thought about was availability of tires! Although I'm not planning on any trips anymore too off the grid, but is definetly something to think about as I build! I may just pick up a 2nd set of inexpensive wheels for trips may be that off grid! Need to meet more people in the community before I venture too far all alone anyway!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostRHR

without spending unnecessarily on gadgets just to have them.
Then, as karls10jk stated, perhaps focus more on recovery necessity than on high-end LED lights and 50" light bars.

I've lost count of the folks in my area that post to FB asking for someone to recover them because they don't have the equipment to recover themselves... but they have some fine lights.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
Then, as karls10jk stated, perhaps focus more on recovery necessity than on high-end LED lights and 50" light bars.

I've lost count of the folks in my area that post to FB asking for someone to recover them because they don't have the equipment to recover themselves... but they have some fine lights.
well the LED headlights, fogs are actually necessities for me the stock lighting is pretty horrible and since i just drove 23hrs straight in my jeep i got a good glimpse of just how bad they are! But I agree the light bar is not a necessity I didn't list things necessarily in the order that I would be getting them! the winch setup will probably be my next purchase in all honesty but thanks for the feed back.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Synthetic line will be the way to go for your winch- you'll be able to do a trail fix without any tools aside from a knife.

The fog lights are nice but with some solid headlights, they're not as necessary for the highway. Absolutely still helpful off-road at night.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Brown Santa arrived with gifts! Ordered from Rubitrux the brackets for foglights were not in the box so contacted them and they said they would ship them to me immediately! Hopefully will install the headlights and fogs early next week before heading to GA for my buddies wedding!

Name:	IMG_0477.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	648738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	648739  
Old 06-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I completely missed that you're in Virginia Beach, I'm in Chesapeake if you need assistance or would like to see things up close.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I completely missed that you're in Virginia Beach, I'm in Chesapeake if you need assistance or would like to see things up close.
I'd love to get up and check out your setup! This is my first jeep so I am learning. Of course I'm going to do some mods just because I think they look good but most will atleast have some function to them as I don't like too many useless mods.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Headlights installed! Love these such a huge differnce in light output and just the color of the light alone helps tremendously you can really see the difference against the color of the stock fogs. Still waiting on the bracket to come from RubiTrux though so I can get these fog lights installed. Also put a couple of other things on order.
M.O.R.E Dead Pedal
Front GraBars

Name:	IMG_0489.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	649138  

Quick Reply: GhostRHR slow Form=Function build