Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Death wobble

Old 06-08-2016, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobble

Hey everyone!
I have a 2011 JKU and this Saturday I had my brakes changed. After it was done my jeep is getting the death wobble every time I go 45-50 MPH. I haven't had a chance to check it out it's been parked in the garage I will get to it this weekend. Any ideas on what can be causing it? I've never had a death wobble till now.
Thanks!
Old 06-08-2016, 05:59 AM
GJK
JK Newbie

It seems that you might be experiencing heavy vibration rather than death wobble. I experienced death wobble once and I almost ran off the road, but I have had shaking and vibration due to balancing problems. They could have knocked a wheel weight off while doing the brake job. I wold start there after checking torque settings.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I doubt it is "death wobble", the most mis-diagnosed malady in the motoring universe.

When EXACTLY is this symptom presenting itself?

Do you have any idiot lights illuminated?

Do more little lights illuminate when it happens?

Are you accelerating?

Braking?

Driving in a straight line?

How fast?

Is your steering wheel centered?

Most likely your steering wheel is off-center and you have a speed sensor issue. You are hitting a bump and irregularity in the pavement and your traction control is engaging.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:50 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts

Like others already mentioned, this may be vibration rather than full blown death wobble. Since it happened after the brake job it may be something related to proper wheel mounting and run-out. This sort of problem might even trigger death wobble from loose suspension/steering that was otherwise dormant.

A quick run-out check is to jack each wheel up and spin it by hand with something like a pencil or welding rod taped to a block of wood -- The pencil tip is set close to the tire sidewall, and also the tread, and note how much the gap changes as the tire rotates. Less than 1/16" is what I think is good, but what really stands out as bad is a tire that has a lot more run-out than the others.

edit: Also check for loose lug nuts. Obvious, but I know a guy who left a tire shop with one wheel's lug nuts hand tight!

Last edited by Mr.T; 06-11-2016 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

King has came out with a new steering stabilizer that is exclusive to Rebel Offroad. I believe this is exactly what you need.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
King has came out with a new steering stabilizer that is exclusive to Rebel Offroad. I believe this is exactly what you need.

2 of them

Quick Reply: Death wobble