Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealing with dealerships.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kerberos
As with anything; there's good ones and bad ones... That they're doing you a favor "one time deal" by replacing the header seal; TOTAL BS!!! Yes, the panels must be installed in a correct order (and pattern of the retainers) that is outlined in the owner manual, or the seals will not seat flush... But even if they're not seated correctly, this is a warranty issue (one that has been ongoing for years now). Water leaks on JK's are a given... If yours isn't leaking; give it some time... it will. But it's also something that can be fixed. Less frequent removal of the freedom panels will alleviate the issues as the foam pieces at the corners are prone to wear. They're a little delicate, but they have to be in order to fill the void between the rubber seals and the plastic top. If that dealership gives you trouble again... Just step outside for a minute and call 1-800-992-1997 (FCA Customer Care).
I totally agree that they are not doing me any favors and it wasn't until I started asking about going around them that they were ready to fix it without charging me for the work or rental. And then to state it's my fault even when I've never removed a freedom panel let alone the whole top. Thanks for the number, I've put it in my phone to have on the ready when I go to pick it up later today.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I've had my Jeep back for a little over a week now and we got our first good thunderstorm. I'm now leaking on both the driver and passenger sides after taking it in for leaking on just the driver side. I think I'll be calling FCA on Monday cause this is bullshit.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:01 AM
JK Freak

Wow that sucks, hope they can help you out.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kellen
So I've had my Jeep back for a little over a week now and we got our first good thunderstorm. I'm now leaking on both the driver and passenger sides after taking it in for leaking on just the driver side. I think I'll be calling FCA on Monday cause this is bullshit.
Unfortunately I'm not surprised; I remember going through the exact same issue with my 1997 TJ, where they had to keep it for two weeks and the fix ended up being using an entire tube of silicone to attach the blower motor housing to the firewall.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I have a JKU. Wife has BMW 128i. My experiences at the BMW dealer are the polar opposite of my dealing with the jeep dealer. The jeep dealer service people are lying scumbags in my opinion. They don't know their own product and they lie. I went there to buy an oil filter for my 2012 JKU. The manager asked me what engine it had in it. As if? They told me I would void my warranty if I used synthetic oil and would void if I didn't have oil changed every 3000 miles. Another time they told me all my drive line fluids were filthy and needed to be replaced. What they didn't know is that I replaced them all myself the week before.
The BMW dealer has been the opposite. They go out of their way to fix/replace stuff under warranty even if I haven't asked them to. Oil changed are once per year. Each time I take it there they inspect the whole car and have found things that they repaired at no charge.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

My hardtop started leaking about a month after I purchased it new. The leak was directly over the radio. I think i have around 10 receipts from the repairs they had done over a year and a half or so but i had to bring it in way more than 10 times for testing (laying a hose on the roof for a couple hours then driving around the block). The first service manager i dealt with (the same one that told me the my death wobble was caused by my SS but was pretty obvious after looking myself was the knuckle side drag link) would claim to order new seals or wait for FCA to approve the warranty work. After about the 3rd attempt to fix it I realized they had only replaced the same seal multiple times and were going to order the same one again. 2 months go by and no call saying the seal is in. At this point I started to get a moldy smell and the leak increased from a drip to a pretty decent flow so i call the FCA myself, only to find out that they had never been contacted and the dealer was not being honest. They were the push the dealership needed to actually try to get things done and were constantly bugging the dealership to get their sh** into gear. They set me up with a different service manager and he seemed to be helpful but didn't really ever seem sure of himself. After replacing more seals the leak moved from over the radio to both front doors. Then on the 8th or 9th repair they fired that service manager and set me up with another one. That is when the leak stopped as he decided to just replace both freedom panels. He said it looked to him like the tops were warped or defected from the factory or someone had tightened the thumb screws way too much. Got some free oil changes, carpets shampooed and extra warranties out of the whole thing. It took all of my patience. Also, i kind of enjoyed driving the Chrysler 200 S, I wouldn't want to own one but its a nice car.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I worked as a Assistant Service Manager for Hummer, Saab, and Buick GMC. I'm not sure how Chrysler/Fiat works but most likely I would have just replaced the part and sent you on your way, especially on a vehicle less then a year old. If it was something that shouldn't be covered I probably still would have warrantied it and make sure you are aware of this and give you any advice I could on how to make sure it didn't happen again, if possible. Trying to diagnose a sound has got to be the most irritating thing in the world... I think we can all agree to this being jeep owners. It took me a year to find out what was making a ticking noise. However, when a technician replaces something under warranty they have to return the old part so that mopar can check it out or throw it in trash or whatever they feel like doing with it. If they cant duplicate the sound and just throw a part at it, the customer ends up thinking well you said you fixed it and its still making the same sound therefor you suck at your job.

And the most important thing is, the Service Adviser and the technician make money on the work they perform only, if a warranty claim comes in they are going to want to fix it because it pays and they don't have to sell you anything.

However, the car industry sucks and dealerships made them into the monsters they are now today and that is why I now sell chocolate not cars.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

On my old '08 soft top, said top developed weird a hole after 10ish months. Being that it hadn't been abused, I took it to my local dealer. When I got there the service manager, comes out, takes a quick look, and proclaims that it won't be covered under warranty. I obviously asked why, he follows with he once had a patio umbrella that a bat, yes a freaking bat, chewed through. In his precessional bat experience it looked the same. He told me that since my top was obviously bat damaged, it wouldn't be covered. In a fit of bewilderment I asked him where the guano was. I walked out, went home and called Chrysler. They set me up at another dealer 40 minutes away because refused to go back. The service folks at that store could honestly not believe it. I haven't been back since...
Old 07-28-2016, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default Oil filter housing

Have the common oil bypass valve spring issue. Pre 2013 3.6. Jeep says fix it under warranty. 2 dealers say no way. We don't get paid for it by Chrysler you have to pay. Dealers talk smack about Chrysler and they talk bad about Dealers. After 3 days I'm stuck paying 700 bucks and hoping Chrysler will pay me back. Complete joke. Love my jeep hating the manufacturer. Utterly disgusted. Let's hope they make it right in the long run. By the way there was a Dodge having the same oil filter housing replaced today while I was there. Dealer says yep common problem. That's why they changed the design in 2013. Still won't pay us for the repair.

Quick Reply: Dealing with dealerships.