Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Chopped hardtop

Old 08-14-2016, 08:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SF_E60
The weird part about the flapping part for me is that it *only* does it when the wind blows in a specific direction. And Yes it drives me crazy
Yep. flapping soft tops were part of my reasoning for this. I still have all the parts of my trextop. i might just adapt the rear windows to this design.. Still haven't figured that part out yet completely. I need to start the rack fabrication first. Was kind of a tight fit for all my gear on rubicon this weekend
Old 08-14-2016, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangedude71
Yep. flapping soft tops were part of my reasoning for this. I still have all the parts of my trextop. i might just adapt the rear windows to this design.. Still haven't figured that part out yet completely. I need to start the rack fabrication first. Was kind of a tight fit for all my gear on rubicon this weekend
Keep us posted would like to see what kind of rear windows you come up with.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:38 PM
JK Newbie

sub'd
Old 08-15-2016, 09:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin good!
Old 08-16-2016, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sure does look good.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

That is awesome, I enjoyed reading this thread, can't wait to see how this holds up for you.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CheryBaum
That is awesome, I enjoyed reading this thread, can't wait to see how this holds up for you.
Thanks for all the encouragement.. So far its still holding up well. Its going to be about 3 weeks before i can start the next step of installing the roof rack brackets. I do have a new idea for the next one.. I'm starting to think maybe starting with a 2 dr top then graft on some rain channels to accommodate the rear doors. The best part about this idea is that I think it could be done without doing any of the cosmetic fiberglass work.. Grind off the rear dog house section, rivet on some folded metal upper rain channels with a little RTV, clean up the edge with some touch up paint and done.. need to find a 2dr broken top next
Old 08-19-2016, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Here's a good top if anyone wants to give it a try

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-...511?nav=SEARCH
Old 10-26-2016, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

just found a hardtop on kijiji for $80.00 - looks like I have my winter project all lined up!! QUESTION - how did you cut that sucker? sawzall? skillsaw? router? chainsaw? lol.....just don't wanna eff it up right out of the gate.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JEEPJK
just found a hardtop on kijiji for $80.00 - looks like I have my winter project all lined up!! QUESTION - how did you cut that sucker? sawzall? skillsaw? router? chainsaw? lol.....just don't wanna eff it up right out of the gate.
I tried a bunch of stuff. but in the end the fastest way was to use an angle grinder... Cut right through it like butter.. As I mentioned, wear a bunch of eye protection, full clothes, and a mask.. its nasty stuff to breath. Im probably on the hunt for a 2dr broken hard top next.. I want to see if i can make a 4 dr top with a 2rd hardtop faster and easier.. Perhaps without all the fiberglass work to close off the back..

Quick Reply: Chopped hardtop