Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need tires and low entry height. Help!!

Old 06-16-2016, 11:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tires and low entry height. Help!!

OK guys. I just purchased a 2016 JKU a few weeks ago and need some real tires. I am in a wheelchair, so can't really lift it much or I won't be able to get into it. I'm really wanting to put 35x12.5x17's on it. Either BFG km2's or Goodyear Duratracs. I've been getting mixed signals on the lift/no lift issue. Is it depending on the year or what? Some say you can't wheel it without a lift and you can barely drive it to the mall, others say you can off road like a madman. I really want the 35's, but due to my POS wheelchair , and the fact that I have the lowest garage ceiling known to man, I can't really put a lift on it. So which is it?
Old 06-17-2016, 02:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by purerage1975
OK guys. I just purchased a 2016 JKU a few weeks ago and need some real tires. I am in a wheelchair, so can't really lift it much or I won't be able to get into it. I'm really wanting to put 35x12.5x17's on it. Either BFG km2's or Goodyear Duratracs. I've been getting mixed signals on the lift/no lift issue. Is it depending on the year or what? Some say you can't wheel it without a lift and you can barely drive it to the mall, others say you can off road like a madman. I really want the 35's, but due to my POS wheelchair , and the fact that I have the lowest garage ceiling known to man, I can't really put a lift on it. So which is it?
Do an upgraded spring leveling kit, wheel spacers, and get your 35s. Chopping the fenders will help with clearance as well. Get your bump stops setup and check steering knuckle to knuckle.

From what I'm seeing, this is what I would do.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, a stock Jeep is very capable offroad vehicle and unless you are going to do serious rock crawling you can get around and have a great time.

I'm running 37's with a 2.5" lift and flat fenders. I like the low center of gravity. I'd try a fender trim with 35's first and see if it meets your needs. You'll need to trim your plastic air dam up front so the tires don't rub against it and you'll need at least 4.5" of backspacing on your wheels. If you decide to run factory wheels then get 1.5" spacers. If you feel you still need to lift then consider either a puck lift or a 2.5" lift.

Here's a thread on how to trim your factory fendors: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...s-video-80145/

Good luck!! Let us know what you decide.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560
Do an upgraded spring leveling kit, wheel spacers, and get your 35s. Chopping the fenders will help with clearance as well. Get your bump stops setup and check steering knuckle to knuckle.

From what I'm seeing, this is what I would do.
This sounds very doable. Thanks for the advice! The won't be any hard core wheeling, I just wanna hit some trails, and If I do a river/creek crossing in this thing soon, I'm gonna lose my mind.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
First off, a stock Jeep is very capable offroad vehicle and unless you are going to do serious rock crawling you can get around and have a great time.

I'm running 37's with a 2.5" lift and flat fenders. I like the low center of gravity. I'd try a fender trim with 35's first and see if it meets your needs. You'll need to trim your plastic air dam up front so the tires don't rub against it and you'll need at least 4.5" of backspacing on your wheels. If you decide to run factory wheels then get 1.5" spacers. If you feel you still need to lift then consider either a puck lift or a 2.5" lift.

Here's a thread on how to trim your factory fendors: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...s-video-80145/

Good luck!! Let us know what you decide.
Thanks for posting! Sound like sound advice to me. There won't be any hard core rock crawling in this Jeeps future, just some long trails looking for the next great camping/fishing spot. I've heard allot of people bash wheel spacers. I don't mind the looks of my factory 5 spoke Sport wheels, and 35's would only make them look better. But are the spacers gonna cause any problems? I'm gonna be building it for overland camping, nothing overly heavy though. Maybe a 50qt ARB fridge, 5-10 gallons of fuel and water. But that's it for heavy stuff.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Good advice here. I would however add, that if you are going to ad any weight, look at heavier duty springs. The factory ones sag. The Teraflex springs I upgraded to sag pretty bad when I ad my tool box (about 75lbs.) granted I am in a two door, but still. Lots of companies make leveling kits that are designed for extra weight.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 06-17-2016, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Good advice here. I would however add, that if you are going to ad any weight, look at heavier duty springs. The factory ones sag. The Teraflex springs I upgraded to sag pretty bad when I ad my tool box (about 75lbs.) granted I am in a two door, but still. Lots of companies make leveling kits that are designed for extra weight.

Thanks for posting! I keep thinking that I'm not adding hat much weight, but I guess by the time you add up a fully loaded fridge, ten gallons of fuel, ten gallons of water, and other various camping gear, it adds up to allot. Haha Thanks for the advice, I'll check out those springs.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by purerage1975
Thanks for posting! I keep thinking that I'm not adding hat much weight, but I guess by the time you add up a fully loaded fridge, ten gallons of fuel, ten gallons of water, and other various camping gear, it adds up to allot. Haha Thanks for the advice, I'll check out those springs.
It adds up fast: 10 gallons of fuel: about 65lbs. 10 gallons water: 83.4 lbs. some tools 50-100lbs. That fridge fully loaded: IDK, camping gear 50+lbs. other food:??? Passengers: couple hundred lbs. a full size 35in. Spare hanging way out over the rear bumper (even on a stock wheel) is going to be around 25-45lbs heavier than your stock wheel and tire depending on what tire you get and what tire you currently have.

My solution, since I just bought the springs, and didn't like how they sat, was to take them back out and through a spacer on top of them in the rear only. Cheep and easy, but eventually as I continue to ad weight, I will be replacing for heavier duty springs.

That's why the Jeeps come with the factory rake, so that they aren't dragging their tail every time you put a little camping gear in the back.

As with all things Jeep: plan ahead, try to buy only once rather than twice.

Hope this helps happy Jeeping.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ran 35's on mine with aftermarket wheels. Just trimmed fenders and removed the air dam. The rubicon rock rails would have to be trimmed too.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Longlegs
I ran 35's on mine with aftermarket wheels. Just trimmed fenders and removed the air dam. The rubicon rock rails would have to be trimmed too.
I love the sound of that. Thank you ! Did you off road at all like that?

Quick Reply: Need tires and low entry height. Help!!