Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

37s and no lift.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have compared my jku with one on a rubicon express 3.5 kit and true 37s and I literally have a hair more articulation than him. That makes me happy. All I want now is a stiffer spring but I don't really want to gain any height over what I'm at now. Going to relocate lower shock mounts for more droop and ground clearance. Might do upper mounts too to run a longer shock.

This was originally planned to be temporary til I put 1-tons and ORIs under her, but I am now just running it this way to entertain myself. It's always fun to see people's faces when they ask what lift I have and I say stock. And they don't believe it.

I'll keep it this way probably another year or so then do big boy stuff and throw on some 40s
Old 06-19-2016, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you running factory wheels? If so, what size spacers are you using?

Also, I'd love to see more detailed pictures of all the trimming/folding that you had to do, if you have any.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work. Are those Smittybuilt steel fenders?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knobturner75
Are you running factory wheels? If so, what size spacers are you using? Also, I'd love to see more detailed pictures of all the trimming/folding that you had to do, if you have any.
Factory wheels with 1.75" spydertrax spacers
Old 06-19-2016, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepfan30
Good work. Are those Smittybuilt steel fenders?
Yes I trimmed a lot off the rears to match shape of trimmed wheel wells also
Old 06-19-2016, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a JK I think this might make sense, but with the extra wheelbase of the JKU I think 3-4" of actual lift (from a 2.5"-3.5" lift kit) is more ideal. Also your articulation is limited and you'll be lifting tires a lot with that set up, which isn't good for forward progress, lol
Old 06-19-2016, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biginboca
On a JK I think this might make sense, but with the extra wheelbase of the JKU I think 3-4" of actual lift (from a 2.5"-3.5" lift kit) is more ideal. Also your articulation is limited and you'll be lifting tires a lot with that set up, which isn't good for forward progress, lol
I beg to differ. It's never gotten hung up on anything I've tried yet. It does way more than you'd expect. I have the same articulation capability as some 3.5 lifted jeeps on 37s, actually a hair more than a couple, so I'm not sure why you think my articulation is limited. It's due to the wheel space I have that they do not have. The only reason they lift is to get that space without trimming. That's the point of the thread, that it isn't limited. I don't want to post pictures of anyones jeeps with lifts for the purpose of comparing mine with no lift to theirs. Kinda puts them on blast. If you want me to show you via PM I can. Have yet to lift tires either. People always have things like that to say until they see it on the trails. Then they have nothing to say. Like I said, I don't have any boulder fields to drive through, if I did then yeah I'm sure I'd get hung up. Also, I always find the jk vs jku comment comical. People who build high dollar, highly capable 2 doors stretch the jk to literally just under a stock jku's wheelbase, so that one doesn't really hold water. For what I have access to, this setup has so far performed flawlessly. Better than others with lifts. Believe it or not. I have lots of footage from Hidden Falls but it's on my buddies GoPro and he lives 4 hours away. I'll upload in a couple weeks when I see him again
Old 06-19-2016, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Look at 80% of coilover/40s builds and they are all running low lift. Most are at 4" or less. Now think of a 3" smaller tire. Equals 3" smaller lift right? I don't use big bumpstops that limit uptravel like 99% of others either. I have 6-7inches uptravel in the back right now. compare that with 3.5 lifts on bodies that aren't trimmed or are hardly trimmed, and watch when their tire will make contact. Mine does not contact period. That's the point of the thread. The fact that it's low, yet still has the same uptravel as lots of lifted people. The belly would drag if I tried to drive over a rock like an idiot but I have yet to come upon any situation that stops me from going over or around something I can't go over. Usually anything I can't go over is something you'd need 42s and a 6-7" lift to clear, in like a tj or something. I've used my skids, yeah, never been hung up however...
Old 06-19-2016, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I probably will throw in some RK 2.5 springs soon until I buy what I really want which will cost thousands
Old 06-19-2016, 02:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I said your articulation is limited cause I looked at your pics. Stock shocks have 8" travel many 3"-4" lift shocks are 11-12" travel.

I have a JKU and have used various lift heights that's why like 3-4" actual lift (from 2.5"-3.5" kits) on the JKU. If someone has lifted and has same travel as you they are using a dumb set up. This is my 3" lift...

Last edited by Biginboca; 06-19-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 37s and no lift.