Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

rotating tires question.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rotating tires question.

I rotate my tires front to back twice a year.
Bfg 33s up front and definity Dakota 33s in rear. But for the life of me can't understand why my traction control light comes on only with the Dakota's up front. I have to keep under 30mph on right hand curves or it will blink.
Never comes on with BFGs up front?

Any theories?

Speedometer and and alignment is all good.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've read that not correcting tire size in the computer can cause the light to come on during sweeping right turns like highway off ramps. Do you cross rotate as well as front to back? It sounds like the Dakotas are larger making it more sensitive or unevenly worn. But that's just me speculating.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

can't believe the computer would be that sensitive
Old 06-18-2016, 03:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I've read that not correcting tire size in the computer can cause the light to come on during sweeping right turns like highway off ramps. Do you cross rotate as well as front to back? It sounds like the Dakotas are larger making it more sensitive or unevenly worn. But that's just me speculating.
Agreed if there not damn near identical sizes to start if can for sure mess with it. Itl show different speeds at each wheel
Old 06-18-2016, 04:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tribulation138
can't believe the computer would be that sensitive
I can't say for sure. It's just something I read that made sense to me. And on more than one occasion.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Measure the diameter of all 4 tires to see how far off they are in size. The wheel speed sensors/control module are sensitive enough that small differences in size will cause the traction control to think the wheel is spinning. When you make a turn the two front tires are already rotating at different speeds so any difference side to side or to the rears will be magnified.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Measure the diameter of all 4 tires to see how far off they are in size. The wheel speed sensors/control module are sensitive enough that small differences in size will cause the traction control to think the wheel is spinning. When you make a turn the two front tires are already rotating at different speeds so any difference side to side or to the rears will be magnified.
Ya. My bfg fronts are a 1/2 inch bigger than than the dakota rears.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tribulation138
Ya. My bfg fronts are a 1/2 inch bigger than than the dakota rears.
There is the problem. The ECU is detecting a difference in speed between front and rear axles and interprets that as a loss of traction.

You should run all four identical brand/model/size tires.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Or, for a temporary solution, change the air pressure in one set so that the diameter of that set matches the diameter of the second set.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Or, for a temporary solution, change the air pressure in one set so that the diameter of that set matches the diameter of the second set.
Changing the tire pressure of a radial tire will not change the diameter of the tire. And actually it's the circumference that matters, and in order to change that, you have to remove tire material.

Quick Reply: rotating tires question.