Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Electronic Stability Control

Old 06-18-2016, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Stability Control

Starting about three weeks ago my ESC seems to have gotten a mind of it's own and is more sensitive than usual. I can't gun my Jeep from a stop at a light because it lunges forward for about five feet and then it stalls until I slow down enough to give it gas again. If I'm going about 25 MPH and I gun it it does the same...turns on both "jeep with skid mark" (ESC) lights along with ABS light, they eventually turn off. I was able to do that before, step on it at a red light with no problems. Now I have to slowly give it gas from a red light like an old lady....

If I'm making a "brisk" right turn the ESC light comes on but NOT the ABS light and the Jeep stalls until I take my foot off the pedal, light goes out and I can resume slowly giving it gas again. And I'm not even turning fast, just a normal flow right turn. If I'm in city traffic and I need to change lanes and step on the gas it shuts me down causing the guy that I'm trying to get in front of me to flip me off. If I turn "off" the ESC below heater control, small Jeep with skid marks comes "ON" in the instrument cluster, that seems to remedy the problem. BUT if I don't turn it off, it's a nuisance and it wasn't before. I'm just hoping I'm not in a situation where I have to give it gas to avoid an accident cause it's not happening....

2013 JK X
Old 06-18-2016, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two likely causes. First, your steering wheel is slightly off center. Second, your shocks are worn and you're lifted. The Jeep is reading excessive body roll. Also, are your sway bar links disconnected?
Old 06-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So some thoughts...

1. Did you recently install a lift? If so, steering wheel being off can do this. // Is your steering wheel straight when you're traveling straight?

2. Could be a bad wheel speed sensor - But I think the ABS light would be on too?
Old 06-18-2016, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
2. Could be a bad wheel speed sensor - But I think the ABS light would be on too?
This is my thought as well...bad sensor or loose connection to sensor.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Two likely causes. First, your steering wheel is slightly off center. Second, your shocks are worn and you're lifted. The Jeep is reading excessive body roll. Also, are your sway bar links disconnected?

I let go of steering wheel and Jeep stays straight, no pulling and steering wheel is centered and sway bar links are not disconnected....I'll check the shocks.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
This is my thought as well...bad sensor or loose connection to sensor.
Where is the sensor located? Is this something that does not have to be taken to the dealer for?
Old 06-20-2016, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
So some thoughts...

1. Did you recently install a lift? If so, steering wheel being off can do this. // Is your steering wheel straight when you're traveling straight?

Lift has been on Jeep, not recently installed. Steering wheel is centered and when I let go of it Jeep stays straight...no pulling. AND ((ABS)) does come on as well...
Old 06-20-2016, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by racueto
Lift has been on Jeep, not recently installed. Steering wheel is centered and when I let go of it Jeep stays straight...no pulling. AND ((ABS)) does come on as well...
So then likely a wheel speed sensor. A local auto parts store might be able to read which one. You have to use a code reader that also reads ABS codes. With it, they can tell you which of the four it is.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

What year is the Jeep? Generally, when a wheel speed sensor goes bad the ABS light stays on full time. It will not go away.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tjkamp
What year is the Jeep? Generally, when a wheel speed sensor goes bad the ABS light stays on full time. It will not go away.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
2013 and the ESC (BIG Jeep with skid marks) light and the ((ABS)) light come on and then they go off anywhere from 20 sec to a couple of minutes. This also happens when I have the ESC to the off position below heater controls but not as often as when I have it "on"....I will take pictures tomorrow and post what the sequences I get....

Quick Reply: Electronic Stability Control