Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment

Old 06-23-2016, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
Ok so .. Don't have all the numbers but the specks were all green and centered except caster. They were both 3.1. It is flighty and it has all been tightened to spec. Nothing is loose or not to spec. Grade 8 kit done. I didn't actually get the alignment because he said if I wanted to fix caster and bring it back he would only charge me for one visit. I did see the machine and it might have needed a bit of toe in on the left side. But every thing else was dead on.

Sent using smoke signals

Was the Jeep on the ground when everything was loosened and re-torqued? A lot of people report flighty steering if the control arms were tightened when the jeep was in the air/on a lift/not on the ground causing tension on the bushings making the jeep feel flighty
Old 06-23-2016, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Exactly, if it was done in a shop there is probably a 50% chance they just rattle gunned everything on the lift, no torque wrench needed :o
Old 06-24-2016, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
^^^ Exactly, if it was done in a shop there is probably a 50% chance they just rattle gunned everything on the lift, no torque wrench needed :o
I did it at home on the ground

Sent using smoke signals
Old 06-24-2016, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Croce
Was the Jeep on the ground when everything was loosened and re-torqued? A lot of people report flighty steering if the control arms were tightened when the jeep was in the air/on a lift/not on the ground causing tension on the bushings making the jeep feel flighty
On the ground.

Sent using smoke signals
Old 06-24-2016, 04:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The usual target is between 4-5 degrees of caster. Some go a little higher, but you need to watch the driveshaft angles. If you go for brackets, any of the sets with multiple holes (lift heights) should be fine. At a guess, you'll use the middle set (3.5"), but the 2.5" holes would probably work as well.

But again, before running out an buying parts, why is your caster low? The Mopar 3" stage 3 comes with new control arms, I take it they were not included? Or is something else going on and you are adding a second form of caster correction?
Old 06-24-2016, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
I put my Rubi on a rack today to check it out because it drives like crap. Mopar 3 inch stage 3 JKS track bar brackets and drag link flip kit 35/12.5/20 ALL IS GOOD EXCEPT CASTER IS LOWER LIMIT OF 3.1 Is this my issue and what is a good target. Mopar kit eliminates , and or doesn't include cam bolts for lower arms. Possible suggestions for fix other than control arms wanted. Sent using smoke signals
I have a set of used currie upper adjustable control arms for sale... Get you a good price
Old 06-25-2016, 09:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have any pictures of the suspension as it sits?
Old 06-25-2016, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The usual target is between 4-5 degrees of caster. Some go a little higher, but you need to watch the driveshaft angles. If you go for brackets, any of the sets with multiple holes (lift heights) should be fine. At a guess, you'll use the middle set (3.5"), but the 2.5" holes would probably work as well. But again, before running out an buying parts, why is your caster low? The Mopar 3" stage 3 comes with new control arms, I take it they were not included? Or is something else going on and you are adding a second form of caster correction?
they did com with them but that is a big complaint with older lifts prior to 2013. They corrected it later.

Sent using smoke signals
Old 06-26-2016, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Have any pictures of the suspension as it sits?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1774623233.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	650768

Sent using smoke signals
Old 06-27-2016, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump

Sent using smoke signals

Quick Reply: Alignment