Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB power which fuse

Old 06-25-2016, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyhawker
My Cobra 18WX ST II comes with two (2) power leads. One Red & one Orange. It calls for the Red to be connected to an accessory fuse, and the Orange directly to the battery or other constant power source. The radio then turns off at ignition switch off, while the Orange lead allows it to remember the channel settings. I haven't mounted it my 2014 JKU yet, but in my old TJ, I wired it that way with the Red lead jumper-ed into the radio fuse (10A) under the dash. You can get a short jumper wire adapter at any auto store that allows for two fuses; one for the regular accessory (from which ever fuse you use) and one for a pass through to the CB. Does this help? Skyhawker
that's the first ive heard of two power wires on a cb but I'm no cb guru. I think some amfm head units come with an extra wire for memory. It's a nice idea. Must take some kind of relay or I don't know. Definitely thickens the plot. My cb only has two wires. Red and black with red stripe. Why the stripe idk. But the directions do say one is for power the other to the negative on the battery.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Skyhawker
My Cobra 18WX ST II comes with two (2) power leads. One Red & one Orange. It calls for the Red to be connected to an accessory fuse, and the Orange directly to the battery or other constant power source. The radio then turns off at ignition switch off, while the Orange lead allows it to remember the channel settings. I haven't mounted it my 2014 JKU yet, but in my old TJ, I wired it that way with the Red lead jumper-ed into the radio fuse (10A) under the dash. You can get a short jumper wire adapter at any auto store that allows for two fuses; one for the regular accessory (from which ever fuse you use) and one for a pass through to the CB. Does this help?

Skyhawker
This is what I have also. Has an orange for memory and red and a black. I just don't know where to take them to.
I mounted mine under the driver's seat for now and need a quick and easy way to get power.

Looks like I run extra wire to the battery. Red to red and black to black? Then couldn't I take the orange to constant power in the fuse panel also to allow memory to work? Also which fuse is good for my orange? Cobra 18wxst is what I have also

Anyone have some pics of there wiring and where they hooked everything. Make it easy for me! Lol

Last edited by Jeeptang; 06-26-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeeptang
This is what I have also. Has an orange for memory and red and a black. I just don't know where to take them to.
I mounted mine under the driver's seat for now and need a quick and easy way to get power.

Looks like I run extra wire to the battery. Red to red and black to black? Then couldn't I take the orange to constant power in the fuse panel also to allow memory to work? Also which fuse is good for my orange? Cobra 18wxst is what I have also

Anyone have some pics of there wiring and where they hooked everything. Make it easy for me! Lol
For constant power in the tub I used the radio yellow/red wire for a different project. It is thicker than the other radio wires and at the end of the connector. If you have the charger/cig lighter port on the right side you could also use that. I don't. The cig lighter will have a picture of a battery on it's cover if it is constant power.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is there a way to access this wire on the driver's side by the obd port area?
That's what I'm getting at, everyone is saying which wires they but no location or how to get to it.
So I can run two wires to the battery,neg and positive. Then orange to this red wire you are talking about. Sorry I just don't know the JK wiring.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have the JK schematics unfortunately or I could answer your question. The only place I know for sure this wire exists is at the stereo. Where it goes from there in the harness is a mystery to me without the schematic.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey bud I just installed my hand held Cobra 75 WXST and used this power cable that connects to you 12vlt outlet and gets wired to your CB so that when you turn off the ignition it turns off and vice versa. Hope this helps here's what it is, looks like, and part #. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3625556760.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	650766
Old 06-27-2016, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find an ACC fuse and add this in https://www.amazon.com/Pico-0956PT-B...ds=atm+pigtail
Old 06-28-2016, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys thx for all the responses. I ended up wiring directly to the battery for both pos and negative. Tuned the firestik using an external SWR meter. Ground my thumb down to ground beef turning small adjuster so much. Antennas so sensitive even the red cap changed my SWR reading. Decided to leav it off. It was a royal b***h getting it off. Maybe I'll drill a hole at the top to help remove it. Now to think of how to level out the rugged ridge tire carrier antenna mount. Didn't realize it's a little ****eyed. I ground down the paint on it so can't return or exchange it.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just another hijack to your thread but I just did mine tonight. Same as you to battery. I took the third orange wire a hooked it to fuse M10 . It's a 15amp mini fuse for radio in my 2014. I bought an "add a circuit " deal from auto zone. Worked out
Old 06-29-2016, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the JK's if you mounted the CB antenna on the tail gate you need to ground the tail gate. They are very flaky with the ground because of the paint, it may swr fine one day and be high the next

Quick Reply: CB power which fuse