Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Iso CAI preferably AFE momentum Gt stage 2

Old 06-25-2016, 01:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Iso CAI preferably AFE momentum Gt stage 2

Hello was looking for great CAI for my jku 3.6 pentastar. Can't post on the selling board sorry
Old 06-25-2016, 05:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no great CAI's, for a Wrangler. As a matter of fact most advertised CAI's are simply short ram intakes, as they are mounted under your hood, rather than outside which is what a CAI really is. As far as performance, no aftermarket air intake can give that to a naturally aspirated engine. The laws of physics cannot be defeated by some $200-$400 bolt on. The airbox on a stock Wrangler is providing more than enough air then needed when the filter is clean. This more air with so so-called CAI is just hogwash. Just think about it. Although it may look cool, there are so many other things to a naturally aspirated engine that limit more air into the combustion chamber than a hunk of tube and a big free-flow filter. If you have to have one, at least get one with a plastic tube rather than metal. At least with plastic you don't get the heat soak a metal one will provide.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Agree. I've been on this forum I've 4 yrs now. Consensus is that CAI is basically ineffective. Some claim a tiny boost if combined with complete aftermarket exhaust, though even most of those folks say the power benefit may be placebo effect. The only real advantage is the cool sound it makes. Oh yeah, some CAI actually diminish the waterproofness of the factory design.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Agree. I've been on this forum I've 4 yrs now. Consensus is that CAI is basically ineffective. Some claim a tiny boost if combined with complete aftermarket exhaust, though even most of those folks say the power benefit may be placebo effect. The only real advantage is the cool sound it makes. Oh yeah, some CAI actually diminish the waterproofness of the factory design.
I was in the same boat when I first got my JK. I wanted to mod it, but didn't know where to start. So I figured performance enhancers would be a good place to start. From what I've read, the performance is only improved (or noticeably different) when running 2500k+ RPM. So, basically, spend that $ on something else. Like gas.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:22 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, just get a high flow filter for the stock box. I finally put a K&N in and actually gained 2 extra miles per gallon now. Jeep can finally breathe. The throttle is definitely more responsive versus the stock engine air filters.

---> https://www.amazon.com/33-2364-High-...ilter+wrangler

If you don't want the oiled K&N, I think AEM makes a dry filter also.

You don't want a cold air intake, at least not in the traditional sense where it usually draws air from down low (close to the pavement) that you'll see on many tuner cars. I have an INJEN CAI for my sedan that's setup that way.

For the Jeep, especially if you're crossing creeks, etc. you want to keep that intake filter either in the stock location or higher by running a snorkel setup if you're doing any fording and worried about sucking water into the intake.

Last edited by DJ1; 06-26-2016 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutman
From what I've read, the performance is only improved (or noticeably different) when running 2500k+ RPM.
It's really not improved at >2500 rpm.

And really the engine is not making any real power <2500 rpm, so 2500 rpm is not like some kind of cutoff where you shouldn't rev higher. The best performance improvement you can make is to let the engine work like it is supposed to, change your driving habits so make use of the power the engine already makes.

Quick Reply: Iso CAI preferably AFE momentum Gt stage 2