Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clock spring recall...still a myth?

Old 07-09-2016, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My light has been on for a while. I called Jeep, and they said they wouldn't help me, so I've been waiting for months to bite the bullet and drop the money and time on replacing the damn defective spring.

I was so happy to get my letter today. wooop woop. Just saved me (hopefully) a bigass headache and expense.

Now, any chance they will recall the defective gas tank fillers on the 09? I can't fill my tank in winter without gas spraying all over the place, and it's been like that since just after I bought it.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_CRC
Now, any chance they will recall the defective gas tank fillers on the 09? I can't fill my tank in winter without gas spraying all over the place, and it's been like that since just after I bought it.
It's cheap and easy to fix it yourself. The part number escapes me now but it's something along the lines of CNN321.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

just got my recall notice in the mail, though it is more of a 'pre-recall' notice. guess they are notifying folks who are affected once more by mail once there are parts to install...
Old 07-21-2016, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

And just got a notice today that there is also a recall coming for the inflator on the passenger side airbag.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by The Black Jeep
Got my recall notice today for my 08
Mine specifically says if your light is on they will fix it free of charge and then when the part that won't allow dust to get in (the re-engineered part) is available then they will replace it again with the new part even if you already had the non re-engineered part replaced
Problem with clocksprings were that there is a decent size inprotected gap between steering wheel and column bezel and the clockspring was visible and subject to dust and mud and debris. Resulting in airbag issues. Feds demanded a fix and to protect the clockspring better.
The fix is a new column bezel and steering wheel and i believe clockspring so the clockspring is protected better and not exposed to the direct elements in an attempt to prevent premature clockspring failure and air bag issues.
Also noted: there are a few different clocksprings depending on options of your JK. If you fix yourself make sure the part numbers match.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten several mailers, checked the website, all show I have recall status. I also have an appointment tomorrow to get it all fixed up. Service manager wanted to argue that it didn't apply until I made him look it up. Then he admitted, oh I guess it applies to newer ones too... FFS. Oh well. No more chime!

2010 JKU
Old 07-22-2016, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by agentjohnson
I've gotten several mailers, checked the website, all show I have recall status. I also have an appointment tomorrow to get it all fixed up. Service manager wanted to argue that it didn't apply until I made him look it up. Then he admitted, oh I guess it applies to newer ones too... FFS. Oh well. No more chime!

2010 JKU
We had just made the factory change about 2 months ago. I would guess everything from then back to 2007 would be affected. But i dont know for sure. Im just a factory mechanic and not in the descisions loop. Just a worker.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ToledoDave
Also noted: there are a few different clocksprings depending on options of your JK. If you fix yourself make sure the part numbers match.
You say there are different clocksprings and while I don't doubt you- I ordered a clockspring for my 2010 base model with no options and it works even though I added factory cruise. What other options could be the determining factors? I'd like to know that the dealer doesn't replace my functioning one with one that doesn't work based on my VIN instead of actual options.

Thanks for chiming in on this Dave!
Old 07-22-2016, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You say there are different clocksprings and while I don't doubt you- I ordered a clockspring for my 2010 base model with no options and it works even though I added factory cruise. What other options could be the determining factors? I'd like to know that the dealer doesn't replace my functioning one with one that doesn't work based on my VIN instead of actual options.

Thanks for chiming in on this Dave!
Well there are a few diff options. Hands free options. Auto Headlights, hard or soft top will also dictate if you have rear washer ability as Soft top only doesnt have. Clockspring is the the clockspring and headlight controls lever and wiper levers all in one unit. Steering wheel buttons go through the clockspring so depending on those options and the wuper and headlight controls would dictate which clock spring.
The Dealer however should be able by VIN to pull your build sheet through Dealer Connect websight and know exactly which clockspring is required as all part numbers for every vin is stored in a data base.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Ahhh, that makes sense. I have AC and 3.73's so none of the other options will affect me, there may be more clocksprings available since it doesn't seem the super stripped down model is too popular. Thank you for the clarification!

Quick Reply: Clock spring recall...still a myth?