Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

somewhat disappointing upgrade from halogen 170's to HID

Old 06-25-2016, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default somewhat disappointing upgrade from halogen 170's to HID

Is it just me?

I have had a pair of 100w Lightforce 170's on my windshield for 8 years and over time they have become cloudy and I have been planing on just buying a new set of reflectors but last week I saw a pair of 50W HID's on Amazon for $240, surely someone messed up on the pricing so I jumped on it and placed the order. (2 days later the price went back up to normal).

I put them on last night and patiently waited for dark.........

Well, I'm not super fond of the 30 second warm up but I can get used to that. However the actual light pattern, albeit much brighter than the 100's, is a total crap pattern. If you can even call it a pattern.

I currently have them pulled into tight spot and there is a very bright spot, almost a dot, in the middle and then kind of a bunch of little fingers of unusable light stringing out from the center. Whereas the 100 W halogen at least had a more even and useable beam.

I'm glad that I only paid $240 for these because replacement reflectors would have been $150 so essentially for $90 I have doubled my light output and even though it is a crap beam pattern right now maybe I can play with the focus and find a better setup.

IF I had paid the ,in my opinion ridiculous price, of $590 I would have sent them back.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Well I may have over reacted slightly. I did get an acceptable beam spread by opening up the beam a bit. I have the 6000k bulb and I was quite used to the more yellowish halogen.

I have done a search but I am having some difficulties finding anywhere to purchase replacement bulbs, Any help here?
Old 06-26-2016, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

There have been a lot of posts about putting HID lights into the Jeep reflectors and the terrible results. You can't take one technology (halogen) and put in another (HID) and expect good results. There was one expert on this forum that has tested just about evey type of light there is with equipment that measures the results. His conclusion - you'll blind everyone and/or get lousy light.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought that the phrase ,"170's" would have been universally accepted as referring to the Lightforce brand of aux lights. The Striker 170 is what I have.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

I just yanked a set 6000k's and put some silver stars I had laying around into the stock reflectors, I agree, disappointed. I guess I hoped that I would have had similar results to my previous HID experiences. Off to troll for a good set of LED's I suppose.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hybridflux
I just yanked a set 6000k's and put some silver stars I had laying around into the stock reflectors, I agree, disappointed. I guess I hoped that I would have had similar results to my previous HID experiences. Off to troll for a good set of LED's I suppose.
In your stock headlight reflectors? To me the only proper way to do HIDs in just about any vehicle is to do a projector retrofit, unless the car you have has a reflector built for HIDs which I don't know of one that does. If you want HIDs, which I recommend cause LED can't beat them, then do a retrofit or get the sealed 7 kit from theretrofitsource.com that's made for our jeeps. You'll spend about the same or even less and have better lighting and custom look to your liking.

Now the OP is talking about windshield lights and not his head lights I believe.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

OP. I think your light force has a different bulb type. You can ebay the bulb type....should be able to find something there. Yes, the lighting community has a massive boner for 6000k blue color light. Even my 5000k truck lites are borderline for my tastes. I have 55w 4300k hid installed in my hella 500s and they are AWESOME. 30sec warm up time is quite long...mine warm up in like 5 sec max. I am taking out my truck lites and going to a hella super 7 housing with 55w/100w halogens in my headlights...for winter safety. If you can find a 55w 4300k bulb for your 170s you will be tickled pink I think. The color of the light at 6000k is pure shit.

Quick Reply: somewhat disappointing upgrade from halogen 170's to HID