Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Alternative to Outlaw Door Pin Guides

Old 07-07-2016, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to Outlaw Door Pin Guides

I looked at the Outlaw door pin guides and saw a thread about a guy using a bic pen and that post got me to thinking. The pin guide is really just a M6 threaded rod cap about size M10 on the outside and somewhere around 25 to 35 M long. A round threaded rod connector.

We do not have a 4x4 center in our area so $20 for the pins would turn into $30 with freight and with a JKU I would need, I thought, 2 sets. $50-60 seemed a little high.

So I went down to my local Fastenal store an they only had M6 connectors in hex. They did not work although they were cheap.

So I went to my old friend eBay and found round threaded rod connectors in M6 x M10 X M35 for $8 per pair with free shipping from China. Took a little over a week to get here but they work great. In retrospect I would order M30 or M25 long. Not sure if I will leave them on all the time but they can easily be installed and removed with the door in place

.Click image for larger version

Name:	20160703_131339.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	651807

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160703_131401.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	651808
Old 07-07-2016, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a link to the eBay listing?

My bic pen is still holding up awesome but I wouldn't mind just always leaving in a pair of those
Old 07-07-2016, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by munir
Do you have a link to the eBay listing?

My bic pen is still holding up awesome but I wouldn't mind just always leaving in a pair of those
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121990360134...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here ya go. If you are going to remove them everytime I think 35MM is the right length. If you are going to leave them I would go with 30mm or 25mm.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

I don't know about you, but I usually put my doors on one at a time. Are you in some sort of door replacement competition?

The pin helps place one hinge in before the other to ease alignment. Then you unscrew it by hand and put it on the next door.

I'm all about saving some money, but you still only need one. With your method, that saves even more money
Old 07-08-2016, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gregg-G
I don't know about you, but I usually put my doors on one at a time. Are you in some sort of door replacement competition?

The pin helps place one hinge in before the other to ease alignment. Then you unscrew it by hand and put it on the next door.

I'm all about saving some money, but you still only need one. With your method, that saves even more money
Initally I thought I'd just leave the pins on all 4 doors all the time. I have since rethought that and am storing them with my door/top removal tool kit in the little pocket. Even with that I'm still only out $16.00.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BigBlueOx
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121990360134...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here ya go. If you are going to remove them everytime I think 35MM is the right length. If you are going to leave them I would go with 30mm or 25mm.
Was about to order these but then couldn't decide if I wanted to get the shorter and leave them on or the longer and remove them...Is there any down side to leaving them in? My doors are on more than they are off, but they do come off and on fairly regularly (too much rain here to leave them off more than a few days at a time).
Old 08-21-2016, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by suthrncop66
Was about to order these but then couldn't decide if I wanted to get the shorter and leave them on or the longer and remove them...Is there any down side to leaving them in? My doors are on more than they are off, but they do come off and on fairly regularly (too much rain here to leave them off more than a few days at a time).
Having used them several times since receiving them I'm glad I got the longer ones. I like the way the doors look on the Jeep with the bottom nuts in place and do not like the look of the pins sticking out. Adds maybe 3 mins to the process. I also have my doors on more than off and like you only take them off for a few days at a time. (Summer in NC = Thunderstorms.)

Quick Reply: Alternative to Outlaw Door Pin Guides