Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Anyone, please help me with my 730n rhr for 2013 wrangler - no touch

Old 07-13-2016, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone, please help me with my 730n rhr for 2013 wrangler - no touch

Ok, so you are saying......oh no, another 730 N thread. Sorry about that, but I couldn't find my answer on the ones I read. I just bought a very nice 2013 2 door Wrangler and it came with Nav. The unit is a 730n rhr. Everything was fine. 3 days out of the lot my touch screen no longer senses touch. All voice and button controls are fine.

From reading various posts, I unhooked the battery and I let it sit over night. Rehooked it up this morning and no change.....it even remembered my pairing to my droid.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this I would really appreciate the help. Tried suggested soft reboots and I can't seem to get them initiated. I am nearly out of ideas, but I know the fix has to be relatively easy, I would think.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

the touchscreen on mine was acting up over time. It would sometimes beep and switch songs like it was sensing touch...although I think it was getting overly sensitive to light/shadows probably. Also, I would have to be more forceful and use my fingernail in order for my touch to be recognized. One day, it just stopped responding to touch completely. Everything else still functioned properly and I could control it through voice. I tried resetting and all sorts of things without any luck.

Eventually, I just replaced the screen. Replacement was around $250. The hardest part was finding instructions online. There's a lot of step-by-steps for other similar models but this one is different. With the 730N, you have to completely disassemble the front part of the unit. It's quite a detailed process for swapping it out but if you're careful it's quite easy. Took me about 2 hours including taking apart the dash and getting it all back together.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Hey, Thanks. Called Jeep dealer. Warranty coveniently was up on January 11. I am taking car in to make sure the unit has all the latest updated software. I guess it's worth $115 to find that out and hope it fixes issue. Getting a new unit is out of the question. I will reuse my TomTom or use Google Maps on my cell before I spend $1500 to $1800 for a new 730N.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't there some kind of good faith warranty on a used vehicle from the dealer you bought it from? If you have only owned it for a few days they should step up and help
Old 07-14-2016, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Isn't there some kind of good faith warranty on a used vehicle from the dealer you bought it from? If you have only owned it for a few days they should step up and help
Sorry, I asked. I got my Jeep from a BMW dealer and they said I have to try the Jeep dealer. Looks like I'm shafted, but absolutely love my Jeep. I will try the software Avenue and then I will live with it if it doesn't work.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JWCJeep
Hey, Thanks. Called Jeep dealer. Warranty coveniently was up on January 11. I am taking car in to make sure the unit has all the latest updated software. I guess it's worth $115 to find that out and hope it fixes issue. Getting a new unit is out of the question. I will reuse my TomTom or use Google Maps on my cell before I spend $1500 to $1800 for a new 730N.
You could do what I did and just replace the screen yourself for ~$250, otherwise get it repaired.

https://navrepair.com/

I got my screen through them and they offer repairs.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by axelaR
You could do what I did and just replace the screen yourself for ~$250, otherwise get it repaired.

https://navrepair.com/

I got my screen through them and they offer repairs.
May try that, thanks. Not sure how successful I would be doing it myself without fudging it all up. Lol. Gonna try software and pray. Then screen and pay.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

Just thinking is someone could invent something like Norton's Utilities for Nav screens they could make a mint. Simple software to do diagnostics, soft reboots, hard reboots, file corruption fixes, hard disc managent, de-fragging, etc. Just plug into aux port or something and have app on your phone. Just wishing I guess.

Quick Reply: Anyone, please help me with my 730n rhr for 2013 wrangler - no touch