Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any "Remedies" for Window Crank Hitting Knee?

Old 07-16-2016, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put a piece of foam padding on the dome part of the crank.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flexy
What if you install a dead pedal? It would re-position your foot and might put your knee clear of the window crank.
GREAT IDEA! Worth a shot until I can pony up for the power windows. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2016, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 5'9" and I relocated the crank but for you, what about moving the seat back with the Misch bad boy brackets.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/24290_2003.htm
Old 07-20-2016, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by goaterguy
I am 5'9" and I relocated the crank but for you, what about moving the seat back with the Misch bad boy brackets.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/24290_2003.htm
I am going to look into those! One question, do you know if they raise the seat UP any? I don't want to raise it... thanks!
Old 07-21-2016, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As per 4wd.com description: "Misch 4x4 Products Big Boy Seat Brackets will fit all 2007 to 2016 JK four-door models and all 2007 to 2010 JK two-door models. The brackets replace the entire stock seat brackets that attach directly to the floor with Misch 4x4 Big Boy brackets moving the seat back 2” without raising the seat from its original height. This improves the comfort level for taller drivers by increasing the legroom. NOTE: The JK brackets will not fit the 2011 to 2016 two door models."

I would contact the manufacturer http://misch4x4.com/ to confirm.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by goaterguy
As per 4wd.com description: "Misch 4x4 Products Big Boy Seat Brackets will fit all 2007 to 2016 JK four-door models and all 2007 to 2010 JK two-door models. The brackets replace the entire stock seat brackets that attach directly to the floor with Misch 4x4 Big Boy brackets moving the seat back 2” without raising the seat from its original height. This improves the comfort level for taller drivers by increasing the legroom. NOTE: The JK brackets will not fit the 2011 to 2016 two door models."

I would contact the manufacturer http://misch4x4.com/ to confirm.
Awesome! Thank you for the iformation!
Old 07-22-2016, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GrizzWolf
Thanks guys, but moving the crank won't help. I am a big guy, 6'2", 275 lbs... the problem is really the round dome where the crank handle comes out of the door. It hits right at the side of my knee, in the bony part... annoying as heck! I am eventually going to put power windows in, but saving up for that...
Your in pickle. Adding power windows now will be a task unless there is an after market option i dont know about.
In order to convert to power you will need the following.
Power door Modules.
New power door pad (interior)
New Dash harness
New Lt and Rt side body harness if JKU
Window switches at Dash
Window switches at center console JKU
You may be better off getting Half doors and soft top uppers and either unzip windows or simply remove the uppers when you want wind in your hair
Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

Actually adding one power window to just your drivers door would be pretty easy and not really all that expensive. Buy a used power window regulator from a junk yard for about $50-$60 and then just wire in that one door with a double position double throw switch to wind the window up and down. Very basic wiring and the window crank arm would be gone.

You could always convert the other windows later by making up your own harness along with the stock switches. It's not too bad if you know how to solder.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeremyB
Actually adding one power window to just your drivers door would be pretty easy and not really all that expensive. Buy a used power window regulator from a junk yard for about $50-$60 and then just wire in that one door with a double position double throw switch to wind the window up and down. Very basic wiring and the window crank arm would be gone.

You could always convert the other windows later by making up your own harness along with the stock switches. It's not too bad if you know how to solder.

Thanks for the help guys. My 36 year-old son used to have his own custom car shop where they did car audio, power windows, doors, etc. I suggested to him that we could just wire up the driver's side door only but he insists that if we (HE, LOL) are going to do it, we ARE doing all 4 doors. He will do the labor (with my help) for free so I just have to buy the Electric Life conversion kit and whatever else we need.

One of the questions I can't get an answer to is: with that Electric Life kit there are plugs that go over the crank hole once you remove the crank, so how far out does that plug stick? I may replace that crank with the plug and still have the same issue if the plug cover sticks up high.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

http://m.quadratec.com/products/prod...id=55016+03+07

Quick Reply: Any "Remedies" for Window Crank Hitting Knee?