Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any "Remedies" for Window Crank Hitting Knee?

Old 07-14-2016, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any "Remedies" for Window Crank Hitting Knee?

Looking for ideas other than the obvious replacing with power windows, moving crank position, etc. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2016, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is always in the position of hitting your knee when it is up, you could just pull the crank off and reposition.

I'm a tall guy and I honestly didn't even consider getting manual windows, but they're definitely nice for saving weight.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Moving the crank is the way to go but you'll see it causes issues again if you ride with it in the full down position. My cranks point forward when the windows are all the way up and I think they're pointing down when the window is down.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, but moving the crank won't help. I am a big guy, 6'2", 275 lbs... the problem is really the round dome where the crank handle comes out of the door. It hits right at the side of my knee, in the bony part... annoying as heck! I am eventually going to put power windows in, but saving up for that...
Old 07-14-2016, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

take the doors off.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny you mention the crank. That shit has bugged me since I bought and often thought of pulling it off and re-positioning it. Instead I just turn it more.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
take the doors off.
Then how do I keep from freezing when it is 35 degrees below zero here in the winter? Lol. ;+)
Old 07-15-2016, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by catahoula
Funny you mention the crank. That shit has bugged me since I bought and often thought of pulling it off and re-positioning it. Instead I just turn it more.
It's not just annoying, it hits a really tender part of the side of my knee no matter where I position the crank.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrizzWolf
It's not just annoying, it hits a really tender part of the side of my knee no matter where I position the crank.
I'm 6'4 myself so obviously the same issue and pulling the crank to reposition was enough for me while I was driving that JK. My current JK has electric windows and have to say although I could deal with the crank, not having it is way better. I would say an electric conversion is about the only true option.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if you install a dead pedal? It would re-position your foot and might put your knee clear of the window crank.

Quick Reply: Any "Remedies" for Window Crank Hitting Knee?