Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring problem

Old 07-18-2016, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring problem

Just picked up an 07 rubicon, and the previous owner installed a light bar and the four light pods on the outter a-pillars.

There are two switches, but only one of them turns on all four lights. The funny part is when I hit the switch on, my rear locker light will start blinking as well if I am doing it at a stop.

Is it possible the power to the switch is tapped into the power wire for the lockers as well. The factory locker button does work for both front and rear.

Thoughts here? The lights are mounted just under the dash board on the left side above the left speaker ( as a point of reference).

Thanks,
Nathan
Old 07-19-2016, 01:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My first question would be if the rear locker actually engages which I doubt since you didn't say that. The locker and indicator are two different circuits. It sounds like he may have tapped into the indicator circuit which would be more of an annoyance than anything else. However, I would trace all the wiring to see what needs fixing, that being one. I always go through the POs wiring modifications to make sure that everything is copacetic. I would wonder why the other switch is there. Was it originally for the A pillar lights but failed and he moved the wire to the lightbar switch or vice-versa? Are the A pillar lights with the light bar too much current for the setup? Is there a proper fuse?
Old 07-19-2016, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
My first question would be if the rear locker actually engages which I doubt since you didn't say that. The locker and indicator are two different circuits. It sounds like he may have tapped into the indicator circuit which would be more of an annoyance than anything else. However, I would trace all the wiring to see what needs fixing, that being one. I always go through the POs wiring modifications to make sure that everything is copacetic. I would wonder why the other switch is there. Was it originally for the A pillar lights but failed and he moved the wire to the lightbar switch or vice-versa? Are the A pillar lights with the light bar too much current for the setup? Is there a proper fuse?
The lights never go solid on the dashboard. But, when I put it in reverse, it feels like one of the rear wheels are skipping (like its locked). Funny part is I am not in 4LO.

I am thinking the guy wired up the power wires to the power wire to activate the lockers. I didnt think it was possible since its supposed to be in 4lo to engage.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

After reading around a little bit....I ran across this article. Scroll down to where it says Total Locker Control. I wonder if that is what I have here:

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/jeep-jk-...-hacks-cheats/

And another one here on this forum:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...ication-88085/

I think this might be it, as I have two switches. One turns on all the light bars/pods and the rear locker. The other turns on just the front locker.

I should be able to pop the side panel off and reverse this. This seems a bit stupid IMO, but I also dont rock crawl.

Last edited by Nado; 07-19-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Nado
After reading around a little bit....I ran across this article. Scroll down to where it says Total Locker Control. I wonder if that is what I have here:

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/jeep-jk-...-hacks-cheats/

And another one here on this forum:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...ication-88085/

I think this might be it, as I have two switches. One turns on all the light bars/pods and the rear locker. The other turns on just the front locker.

I should be able to pop the side panel off and reverse this. This seems a bit stupid IMO, but I also dont rock crawl.
Good find! I never heard of it before but it sure does seem to match what you are experiencing.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Good find! I never heard of it before but it sure does seem to match what you are experiencing.
Honestly I cant believe I found that. Im gonna open the hood up tonight and see. Based on the information above it should be pretty obvious if they tapped into the locker module. And if they did, its an easy fix to disable. Then I can just back out the wiring to make sure its doesnt interupt the LED lights.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:43 AM
JK Junkie

Yeah it should be easy to spot and undo.

Quick Reply: Wiring problem