Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tow package help

Old 07-20-2016, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tow package help

2014 JKUR w tow package from the factory. I went to rent an UHaul trailer and the trailer light socket did not work! Is this something that needs to b flashed by the dealer?? All fuses good jeep tailgates have power but no power to trailer package. Thoughts??
Old 07-20-2016, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripa777
2014 JKUR w tow package from the factory. I went to rent an UHaul trailer and the trailer light socket did not work! Is this something that needs to b flashed by the dealer?? All fuses good jeep tailgates have power but no power to trailer package. Thoughts??
Not sure about the factory wiring, but the aftermarket wiring plugs in inside one of the tail lights. Maybe check in there. Many trailer light malfunctions are due to bad ground. I'd check that the ground wire has continuity to the frame of the jeep.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Raptor with the factory tow package and had to put a fuse in. It was in a package in the glove compartment.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 4 Pin Test Set

Take it to the dealer. They will have a test set that plugs into your JK's 4 pin trailer connecter. It has left and right turn signals, brake lights and back-up lights just like a trailer. The whole test will take less that five minutes. The last time I had it done they performed the test while I was waiting in the service lane and they didn't take it into the garage area. Not a big deal. They also tested my 7 pin connecter which adds electric brakes, running lights and 12V power to the trailer battery. DF
Old 07-21-2016, 07:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
Take it to the dealer. They will have a test set that plugs into your JK's 4 pin trailer connecter. It has left and right turn signals, brake lights and back-up lights just like a trailer. The whole test will take less that five minutes. The last time I had it done they performed the test while I was waiting in the service lane and they didn't take it into the garage area. Not a big deal. They also tested my 7 pin connecter which adds electric brakes, running lights and 12V power to the trailer battery. DF
I think Walmart and many other stores sell a pretty inexpensive device that does the same thing.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:00 AM
JK Newbie

Had the same problem in my 2014, which I purchased new. After hooking up the wave runner trailer and getting no lights, i found a missing fuse.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Not sure about the factory wiring, but the aftermarket wiring plugs in inside one of the tail lights. Maybe check in there. Many trailer light malfunctions are due to bad ground. I'd check that the ground wire has continuity to the frame of the jeep.
Factory tow pack wiring is also wired in at the left tail light. There shouldnt be a fuse missing as that factory plug is checked 100% very shortly before driven out of the plant. However if you add a tow pack afterwards there may be a fuse to install.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToledoDave
Factory tow pack wiring is also wired in at the left tail light. There shouldnt be a fuse missing as that factory plug is checked 100% very shortly before driven out of the plant. However if you add a tow pack afterwards there may be a fuse to install.
One possibility is that the OP was told the tow package was from the factory but added by the dealer (at a much lower cost/higher profit) and they forgot to install the fuse.

The Wrangler's Trailer Tow Group option is $495 and you can buy the hitch, wiring and cover kit for about $59 on ebay. That's $436 net profit for maybe 15 minutes of labor.

For reference: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Fit-0...FWDtT2&vxp=mtr

Last edited by goaterguy; 07-22-2016 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by goaterguy

One possibility is that the OP was told the tow package was from the factory but added by the dealer (at a much lower cost/higher profit) and they forgot to install the fuse.

The Wrangler's Trailer Tow Group option is $495 and you can buy the hitch, wiring and cover kit for about $59 on ebay. That's $436 net profit for maybe 15 minutes of labor.

For reference: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Fit-0...FWDtT2&vxp=mtr
Correct. Dealer may have forgotten. I was stating factory installs were checked and verified 100% with tester at the plug. The only fuse pulled in factory for shipping is the funny cream colored one which shuts radio and maybe couple other componants (i dont remember off hand but radio for sure) to save battery voltage during shipping.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thx. Will do

Quick Reply: Tow package help