Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic vs Steel Winch Inputs?

Old 07-20-2016, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh. mine is my daily too but my commute is from the barracks on base to the ship on base, which takes me longer to find a parking spot than it does for me to get to the ship
thanks again
Old 07-20-2016, 08:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synthetics requires you to replace it every year due to weather, it is safer when it breaks but if you have wire then you should always put a damper on it just in case it breaks. I run the wire because I play in rocks and if you don't have a snatch block you can always use a tree or rock.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
Synthetics requires you to replace it every year due to weather, it is safer when it breaks but if you have wire then you should always put a damper on it just in case it breaks. I run the wire because I play in rocks and if you don't have a snatch block you can always use a tree or rock.
that is not true. mine has 3 years on it and look at fishing boats LOL. they run for years in harsh environments with trouble. I know guys who have much more than 3 years too. Mine is a dd and I live in Montana with lots of crap and I rarely cover mine.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:30 PM
JK Junkie

Two things. Every year? Then a lot of us are overdue.

I've done dozens of pulls in the five some years and not one issue. Keep it covered, and dry, if it gets wet dry it out. Dirty? Wash it, and let it dry.

If you have a winch and no straps, pulleys, or a couple extra shackles and snatch blocks, seems to be half the package. I see it done all the time incorrectly, but that doesn't mean it's right.

Recovery is serious and dangerous. Proper tools are necessary for effective and safe recovery.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

This is one of the main reasons I decided steel was best for me. Regardless of the 1 year, 3 year, 5 year replacement, the concern is still the same. The synthetic rope will essentially dry rot due to the weather elements. The last thing I want to be faced with when I have to use my winch is to realize I can't use it because my rope is too weak to make a pull. Pretty much defeats the purpose of having a winch if you have a scenario where you may not use your winch for a long time, then to only find out when you do need to use it that you can't because the rope dry rotted.

I do prefer the safety and less weight of the synthetic rope. They need to figure out how to make synth rope that didn't become weaker and dry rot over time. However, l lean more towards less required maintenance and reliability.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-21-2016 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:49 AM
JK Junkie

I'm not sure what lines you guys are speaking of specifically with these issues.

The synthetic materials used are extremely durable and have many characteristics independently of themselves when it comes to their various applications.

Having owned multiple synth and wire spoolers over the years I can't substantiate personally what you guys are speaking of in the 3rd person.

Synthetic rope requires care and it does last. Keep it dry, covered, and clean. Wire definitely has this advantage, and it's about the only one.

If it drags on the rocks obviously that is an issue. Granted mine has had to come into contact with the ground or an obstacle on very seldom occasions, but no damage warranting replacement was there.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wire Rope breaking strength is typically less then synthetic rope
wire rope:
5\16 wire=10500 lbs WLL=2100lbs
3\8 wire=15100lbs WLL=3020lbs

synthetic rope:
5\16 rope=12300 WLL=2460
3\8 rope=17600 WLL=3520

Breaking strength is a factor of 5

Synthetic is lighter and floats easier to work
wire is heavy and harder to work in situations

Wire rope stores kinetic energy
Synthetic does not

Wire rope and get burrs and splinters and makes it harder to work.
synthetic does not kink

I can go on and on.....but the only real benefit over wire vs synthetic is cost and possibly longevity if taken care of.

Last edited by jchappies; 07-21-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Just the weight savings and safety should make the synthetic a no brainer but I am sure the guys that run steel do so for the main reason of cost. If synthetic was the same money or cheaper then steel cable then you would see a lot more people running it. There are rock sleeves to protect against rubbing on rocks and winch covers if you need the protection from the weather so the excuses out there are pretty lame. If you break a synthetic line you can tie at least tie a knot in it and continue the recovery, a broken steel cable is done. Even though steel is more durable running over rocks they will still wear and fray. Personally I have seen a mount break loose from a bumper and go thru a windshield like a missile due to the stored energy and have seen too many times a bunch of noob's doing a recovery and 10 people are standing 2 feet from a steel cable with no damper during a recovery.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not used this my self but I might give it a try. It looks very safe.

http://www.bubbarope.com/gator-jaw-soft-shackle
Old 07-21-2016, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

light, safe, and easy to use. I have looked at them but the cost keeps me from using them.

Quick Reply: Synthetic vs Steel Winch Inputs?