Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Burning smell after radio installation

Old 07-20-2016, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning smell after radio installation

I was having issues with the stock radio/nav unit that came in my '08 Sahara. The radio and touch screen would randomly stop working. I was finally able to get a good price on a new aftermarket radio and installation from a local audio shop and just picked it up today. Drove for about half an hour with all my doors off and top off and didn't smell anything while driving but when I slowed down to turn onto my boyfriend's street, smelt a burning smell. I pulled up to his house and popped my hood to check for any kind of smoke, nothing. At the same time the neighbor called me to let me know when I drove by his house it smelt like I had some wires burning. I drove half an hour back home about 6 hours later and didn't smell anything. Now I'm wondering if it's normal for new wires to smell like that for their first use or if I should bring it back to have it looked at? I know very little about electronics so any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Nope. Not normal. You should have the shop or someone with electrical knowledge take a look.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Nope. Not normal. You should have the shop or someone with electrical knowledge take a look.
^^^^ And quickly. Pull the fuse until then.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14Sport
^^^^ And quickly. Pull the fuse until then.
Yeah word. and there's always the chance the installer messed something else up, wouldn't consider it 100% safe even with the stereo fuse pulled.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like others have mentioned pull the fuse until you can get it checked out.
If it smells like something burning, it's not normal.

Now you may notice a slight smell coming from the radio when its first new but it should be barely noticeable, if it really smells like wires are burning, that's not normal!!!

{
NSFontNameAttribute = "OpenSans-Light";
}
Old 07-21-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bad news is you already let the smoke out and something is already burnt up, now you just need to find out what.....not good for the installer
Old 07-21-2016, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Definitely get that checked out asap! Just because the smell is gone does not mean there wasn't/isn't some damage already done...
Old 07-21-2016, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will definitely have to call the guy up and have him check on it

Quick Reply: Burning smell after radio installation