Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 JK Runs then stalls and won't restart untill 1 hour or so.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 JK Runs then stalls and won't restart untill 1 hour or so.

I am totally baffled and embarrassed by this issue and my poor troubleshooting.

2010 JK Automatic. Jeep starts no problem runs fine for about 20 minutes then stalls. Attempted restart Jeep cranks but will not restart. The Jeep will eventually restart, sometimes after 1 hour sometimes after 5 or 6 hours. But, it will restart then goes through the same ordeal each time and every time.

So let me describe all of the changes I have performed with no improvement: New rebuilt ECM, New Rebuilt TIPM, New Crank and Cam Sensors, New Ignition Coil, New Fuel Pump.

After all of this the Jeep still starts and runs great for about 20 minutes, then stalls an won't restart.

Your thoughts and or experiences are appreciated.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Additional info

Also, I have verified the fuel pump is getting power. When it won't start there is no spark.
No trouble lights illuminated on dash, no trouble codes.

Last edited by afterburn; 07-21-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the no spark may be linked to the anti theft, the jeep may not be recognizing the chip in the key. Just a guess
Old 07-22-2016, 03:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

something overheating?
Old 07-22-2016, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by themoneyshot
I think the no spark may be linked to the anti theft, the jeep may not be recognizing the chip in the key. Just a guess
The chip key would be instantaneous. It'll run for 3 seconds then cut off. I personally experimented before programming my newly cut key.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tramp
something overheating?
The Jeep is not overheating. Also, the stall is after about 20 minute of running. Each and every time, this is not an occasional failure.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The chip key would be instantaneous. It'll run for 3 seconds then cut off. I personally experimented before programming my newly cut key.
Your absolutly right about the 3 sec thing. Sounds like hes got a different issue. Thermally activated and no spark. I would be leaning towards a crank sensor or maybe cam sensors. Leaning towards crank sensor though. If PCM doesnt see crank turning it wont spark.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check the Crank Sensor harness wiring for chafes and connector for oxidation.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by afterburn
The Jeep is not overheating. Also, the stall is after about 20 minute of running. Each and every time, this is not an occasional failure.
The water jacket temp gauge, if malfunctioning will kill the engine, then require time for it to cool down before starting again. Not saying you are over heat, but the sensor may be failing. IIRC there is 2 sensors, 1 for your temp gauge, one for the OBD2.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by matty86suk
The water jacket temp gauge, if malfunctioning will kill the engine, then require time for it to cool down before starting again. Not saying you are over heat, but the sensor may be failing. IIRC there is 2 sensors, 1 for your temp gauge, one for the OBD2.
I disconnected the Coolant Temp Sensor, engine ran fine without temp sensor until the typical stall point after about 20 minutes. Of course it sent a code for coolant temp.

Quick Reply: 2010 JK Runs then stalls and won't restart untill 1 hour or so.