Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an air tank necessary?

Old 07-22-2016, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is an air tank necessary?

Hey fellow Jeepers,

I have decided to get an onboard air system for my 16 Rubicon and am curious whether or not a need an air tank with the compressor. I have elockers, and will never need it for tools, I am only using the system to air up. I have decided on the ARB Twin Compressor system because of the 6.16 CFM rate and I love how it looks OEM when it is mounted in the engine compartment. Of all the posts I have read, everyone is saying that a tank is not necessary because it only helps with the first tire, and then you are only using the compressor once the PSI in the tank drops. I understand this logic, but it seems that while you are twisting on the cap to the first tire and moving on to the second, the high CFM of this compressor will top the tank pressure back off. Is it ok to run the compressor with no tank if it is only going to be used for airing up? If it is just "ok" with no tank, will a tank make a drastic difference where I would have wished that I had installed one when I did the who set up?

PS: I know people are going to say that onboard air, especially the ARB setup is not necessary or overkill if it is just to air up, but it is going to happen. I will pay the $500 for the compressor if it means that I do not have to stand in the 100 degree sun at the Outpost at Uwharrie and wait for the 4 Jeeps in front of me to air up, and then it comes to my turn and I have to stop every 30 seconds to hit the reset button on the back of the air machine. It is a horrible way to end a weekend in the woods. So please let me know if a tank is a good idea or not, and if it is, where is everyone mounting them?
Old 07-22-2016, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The tank is going to give you an initial shot of volume to fill the first tire as stated. I have the single ARB compressor which fills my 35's just fine at about 5 minutes per tire.

Since you are not going to be using air tools then I would not spend the money on a tank and put it towards other mods.

R/
Will
Old 07-22-2016, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely not necessary, thats a rather high cfm compressor, you'll have no issues airing up without a tank. I have no tank on my VIAR system and it does a great job. It may benefit on the first tire, but the time between tires for it to fill is negligible and by adding a tank you now have to fill up the tank, the lines and the tire to an equalized psi so in theory it could take longer per tire after the first.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the replies guys, that is what I was hoping to hear. I have always been skittish about onboard air because of horror stories I have heard about leaks in lines and not having to run lines to and from a tank simplifies the whole set up. Also don't have to worry about finding somewhere to mount the tank, which is another perk!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the ARB twin with an underseat mount and a 2 gallon Viair tank in the engine bay. The tank will dump on the first tire and you are running on the compressor for the rest of the tires. The compressor will not fill the tank between tires, it takes several minutes to fill the tank to 160 PSI.
Also change the fitting from the compressor to your tank, for a bigger hole to get better flow.

If you are going for a high performance air system get a York Compressor and a tank or a C02 Tank. A guy I wheel with has a York and it is much faster than the ARB twin.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the ARB Twin with the manifold for my Air lockers. You do not need a tank with the twin unless you plan on running air tools.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

You can fill the tank at the gas station and save wear and tear on the compressor. If it only fills 1 tire that's still 25 percent less use.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by matty86suk
You can fill the tank at the gas station and save wear and tear on the compressor. If it only fills 1 tire that's still 25 percent less use.
If you are going to do that get a C02 tank and air up faster. Filling your tank at the gas station defeats the point of having on-board air in my opinion. Costs money and time.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoat
Also change the fitting from the compressor to your tank, for a bigger hole to get better flow.
Same can be said with the stock Schrader valves on the wheels. Throw a monster kit on. It's great with CO2, but still helps with the compressor. Airing down takes no time at all either, even with 40's.

This is the Powertank kit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Powertank Monster Valve Kit.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	653258
Old 07-27-2016, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

you can always go w/ a C02 bottle....
175psi dual stage regulator is about 66 bucks, you can go w/ a fixed or single stage regulator for 50 bucks or so.

remember youre not airing the tires from flat....just topping them up.
cost about 10 bucks to fill the tank (i even use in on our RV, 22.5 inch 110psi tires).

I don't keep the bottle with the jeep (its in the RV, usually) and i only air the tires back up once I'm in camp and ready to leave/go home.

If youre on the beach you might want the bottle with you.

this is the 2 stage (dual gauge) 5-175psi adjustable regulator, with gauge protector boots.
UNIWELD R1363 CO2 REGULATOR (5-175 PSIG) UPC 12311 NEW
order the above, add your own quick disconnect, hose and c02 bottle & youre good to go.

Im into this for less than 100 bucks, even less if you consider i had the tanks sitting around collecting dust (the oldest one was free).

Quick Reply: Is an air tank necessary?