Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie trying to get opinions on lifts

Old 07-22-2016, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie trying to get opinions on lifts

Have a 2016 JKU Sport-S that is my daily driver 5 days out of the week, my off time is spent driving through fields, creek beds, wooded trails, and through the Adirondacks in NY. I have pretty much determined I want to go no larger than a 35" tire/wheel set up and have been tossing around the idea of a 2.5" vs 3/3.5" suspension lift. I'm leaning towards the TF and RK systems with full spring/shock suspension, and adjustable track bar, exhaust spacers to keep driving geometry as close to stock to maintain comfortable drivability during the work week, while also having the capability I'm looking for in an off roader. I don't want or need the long arm suspension lifts because terrain is often more rutted than it looks and I don't want to drag the arms knowing they hang lower than a short arm lift. I also believe I'll need 2 sets of wheel spacers with any of the lifts I go for as well correct? Any of you guys have suggestions or tips
Old 07-22-2016, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to the club of trying to figure out what to do next.

My first recommendation is to find local Jeepers in the area and see what they are running and take a ride in their Jeeps to see what you like. Ride is 100% subjective and what works for one may not work for you. The worst thing you can do is buy a lift on a recommendation and then find out you do not like it and have to either suck it up and deal with it or convince SWMBO that you need to buy another lift. Trust me that is not the way to go. I am on my second lift looking at upgrading again.

There is a member who has the perfect write up on lifts but I cannot find it. The member is Dirtman and he spent a lot of time writing this.

I am running the EVO 3 inch plush ride coils paired with Rancho RS 7000MT's. I have spoken at length with some Jeep builders and one common theme is that Jeepers will spend thousands on a lift but go cheap on shocks when the shocks actually do 90% of the work on the road.

Good Luck,
Will
Old 07-22-2016, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Found the thread.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Old 07-22-2016, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I would recommend starting with reading through these two threads stickied at the top of this forum. Tons of great information for newbie's looking at getting a lift and having a better understanding of what you need and more importantly what you don't. For example, you mention having to get 2 sets of wheel spacers. With the 35's you mention getting, you will preferably want to get new wheels as well and since you're getting new wheels, you will want to find wheels with the proper back spacing so you won't need to use wheel spacers. The stock wheels aren't legally wide enough to mount most 35's, and a lot of shops will not mount them for you because of that, although many have done it. If you go 35's with stock wheels then yes, you will likely need wheel spacers. If you get 35's and get wider wheels as well with the proper back spacing then you won't need wheel spacers. The later is the preferred route to take. Reading the links below gives a lot more explanation on these types of things. Good luck.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...bie-has-18617/

Personally, for what you described for your use I feel you might be better off with a 2-2.5in lift for 35's. Two of the best on road riding lifts are the AEV 2.5 dualsport and the current Mopar 2in lift. Both will give you over 3in of actual lift and easily accommodate 35's. There's not many advantages going higher with a 3.5in lift but there tends to be a lot of additional associated costs the higher you go. If you read the top link you will get more of that information.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, you've been a big help
Old 07-23-2016, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

My opinion here but I had the same issue. I put AEV 2.5 inch lift. I did it myself in a day. I like the ride it is definitely better over stock. Cost was about 1100 I put the optional relocation brackets. Rubitrux had a special on the kit.
Mike
Old 07-24-2016, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PhantomZ31
Have a 2016 JKU Sport-S that is my daily driver 5 days out of the week, my off time is spent driving through fields, creek beds, wooded trails, and through the Adirondacks in NY. I have pretty much determined I want to go no larger than a 35" tire/wheel set up and have been tossing around the idea of a 2.5" vs 3/3.5" suspension lift. I'm leaning towards the TF and RK systems with full spring/shock suspension, and adjustable track bar, exhaust spacers to keep driving geometry as close to stock to maintain comfortable drivability during the work week, while also having the capability I'm looking for in an off roader. I don't want or need the long arm suspension lifts because terrain is often more rutted than it looks and I don't want to drag the arms knowing they hang lower than a short arm lift. I also believe I'll need 2 sets of wheel spacers with any of the lifts I go for as well correct? Any of you guys have suggestions or tips
If you are new to jeeping, I agree with everyone here. Take your time and do a little research before you make such a commitment and big expense. Anything over a 2.5 lift will involve more suspension upgrades and adjustments.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Tires, lockers, and gears give you improvements in off road capability. Lifts should be a secondary thought to match to tire size once you figure what you are going to run. A wrangler does not need a 3.5" lift to run down dirt trails and with proper line choice will do most trails in its stock form. Once you spend some time on the trails you will see what you actually need to improve performance.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

You should look into cdjw.org they are a wrangler club out of the capital district that I am a member of as well as many members of this forum. They are a great group of guys/girls who would love to take you for a ride in the differently setup jeeps so you can get an idea of what you'd like to run. Also not sure if you know or not, but Rock Krawler suspension is within 20 min ride... And you can swing down and check out their goods and make a purchase if you choose.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PhantomZ31
While most hear will tell you to get the least amount of lift necessary to accommodate your wheels, as a relatively inexperienced Jeeper I will tell you the first thing I did when I went to the OHV park was rub my belly. So on an unlimited, the lift will help prevent that. LCOG buillds are all the rage right now, and I sure wouldn't want to roll a brand new Jeep so minimizing the lift is a good trend if you ask me. Bigger tires will help get you off the ground too, but there is diminishing returns because to get more clearance than a 35", you have to start doing major upgrades to the drivetrain... at least they are major to me considering the cost of an extra inch of lift.

Quick Reply: Newbie trying to get opinions on lifts