Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Winch Will Not Power Up

Old 07-22-2016, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winch Will Not Power Up

I have a Rugged Ridge 10500 winch which was professionally installed in 2013. It worked fine at install and was covered up proudly riding in the front until it would be called on. But it never was. Until today that is.
Fired it up...dead as the proverbial doornail.
No power at all anywhere. Tried to trace the wires which run directly from the battery. What a tangled mess that was. All contacts are spotless clean and tight. Battery is less than 2 years old and no issues with it.
The remote has no power at all. So what is going on here?
Old 07-22-2016, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be the control box. Did you get any warranty? Mine went out. I was talked into a life time warranty. Using it now, they shipped a new control box for mine for free.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default diagnosis

Originally Posted by OverKill
It might be the control box. Did you get any warranty? Mine went out. I was talked into a life time warranty. Using it now, they shipped a new control box for mine for free.
diagnosed a bad solenoid in the box. Supposedly a 5 year warranty. We'll see..
Old 07-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

FYI- we're supposed to run these winches at least once a month to keep the solenoid from sticking. That's for all winches.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Give it a little tap with a dead blow hammer. I have had to do that with my Warn in the past.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Default Winch Fried

Originally Posted by azphoto
I have a Rugged Ridge 10500 winch which was professionally installed in 2013. It worked fine at install and was covered up proudly riding in the front until it would be called on. But it never was. Until today that is.
Fired it up...dead as the proverbial doornail.
No power at all anywhere. Tried to trace the wires which run directly from the battery. What a tangled mess that was. All contacts are spotless clean and tight. Battery is less than 2 years old and no issues with it.
The remote has no power at all. So what is going on here?
Turns out the motor was frozen up somehow. Rugged Ridge is replacing the winch with a new one. Their 5 year warranty is a great thing. Whew!!

Quick Reply: Winch Will Not Power Up